1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dependent hamiltonian

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    Consider the attached exercise. I am having some trouble understanding exactly what time dependent hamiltonian it refers to. Because from the equation it refers to it seems that the hamiltonian is by definition time independent. Am I to assume that the H diagonal is a time independent hamiltonian which is perturbed by a time dependent potential V(t) or am I to assume that it wants the time evolution in the Heissenberg picture where for an operator:
    A(t) = exp(iHt)Aexp(-iHt) (1)
    Because then I can just expand the operators a_dagger, a in time and recover (1). But that would hold also for a non diagonalized hamiltonian.
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between H(t) and H in this case and why it is not always just given by the formula I am to prove for a diagonalized H - it seems intuitive for me that the time evolution of H should follow the time evolution of a_dagger and a.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I think this problem is just meant to show how you can go through the calculation to explicitly show that H is not time dependent in this case. And you are not meant to assume ##a_\nu(t) = \exp(-i\varepsilon_\nu t) a_\nu## from the start. (By the way, I'm guessing the stuff under the red line is the solution to the problem, right?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted