Is the Hamiltonian in the Exercise Truly Time-Dependent?

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise involving a time dependent Hamiltonian. There is confusion about whether the Hamiltonian is time independent or perturbed by a time dependent potential. The difference between H(t) and H is also questioned and it is suggested that the purpose of the exercise is to show that H is not time dependent. The possibility of using the formula ##a_\nu(t) = \exp(-i\varepsilon_\nu t) a_\nu## is mentioned but it is unclear if it is part of the solution.
aaaa202
Consider the attached exercise. I am having some trouble understanding exactly what time dependent hamiltonian it refers to. Because from the equation it refers to it seems that the hamiltonian is by definition time independent. Am I to assume that the H diagonal is a time independent hamiltonian which is perturbed by a time dependent potential V(t) or am I to assume that it wants the time evolution in the Heissenberg picture where for an operator:
A(t) = exp(iHt)Aexp(-iHt) (1)
Because then I can just expand the operators a_dagger, a in time and recover (1). But that would hold also for a non diagonalized hamiltonian.
Can anyone explain to me the difference between H(t) and H in this case and why it is not always just given by the formula I am to prove for a diagonalized H - it seems intuitive for me that the time evolution of H should follow the time evolution of a_dagger and a.

Attachments

• Hamiltonian.png
    Hamiltonian.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this problem is just meant to show how you can go through the calculation to explicitly show that H is not time dependent in this case. And you are not meant to assume ##a_\nu(t) = \exp(-i\varepsilon_\nu t) a_\nu## from the start. (By the way, I'm guessing the stuff under the red line is the solution to the problem, right?)

What is a time dependent Hamiltonian?

A time dependent Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a physical system over time. It takes into account how the system's energy and momentum change as a function of time.

What is the difference between a time dependent and time independent Hamiltonian?

A time dependent Hamiltonian is one in which the energy and momentum of a system vary with time, while a time independent Hamiltonian assumes that these quantities are constant. Time dependent Hamiltonians are typically used for systems undergoing dynamic changes, while time independent Hamiltonians are used for more stable systems.

How is a time dependent Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Schrödinger equation is used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. The time dependent Hamiltonian is a key component of this equation, as it represents the system's total energy and determines how the system changes over time.

What are some examples of systems that require a time dependent Hamiltonian?

Time dependent Hamiltonians are commonly used in systems such as molecules undergoing chemical reactions, particles interacting with electromagnetic fields, and atoms in a time-varying external potential. These systems have energy and momentum that change over time, making a time dependent Hamiltonian necessary for accurate predictions.

How is a time dependent Hamiltonian calculated or determined?

The time dependent Hamiltonian can be derived from the time independent Hamiltonian using perturbation theory or other methods. In some cases, it can also be directly measured or observed experimentally. The specific method used to determine the time dependent Hamiltonian depends on the system and the level of accuracy needed for the calculations.