Time dependent heat equation

In summary: This is the Euler-Lagrange equation of motion.In summary, the student is trying to solve a matrix equation using a finite difference method, but is lost and does not know how to convert the equation to a matrix problem. They eventually find the solution and use it to solve for the next point in time.
apgt512

Homework Statement

Solve the time dependent 1D heat equation using the Crank-Nicolson method.
The conditions are a interval of length L=1, initial distribution of temperature is u(x,0) = 2-1.5x+sin(pi*x) and the temperature in the ends of the interval are u(0,t) = 2; u(1,t) = 0.5.

Homework Equations

∂u/∂t = √2 (∂2/∂x2) u.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really lost here. Since we started seeing finite difference methods and the heat equation I got lost. What I know is: this can be seen as a matrix problem A*u = b. A is a tridiagonal matrix and I have to find the solution matrix u. I think I know what are the elements of the tridiagonal matrix but not sure.
What I don't know is once I get u, that's the temperature at a certain point in time, then how do I solve for the next point in time?. Do I take the u I got as the b for the next step?.
This is the code I've written so far. It uses the LU decomposition method to find the solution matrix. It's written in C.
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

double * lu(double *diag,double *diag_sup,double *diag_inf,double *b){
    int i;
    double w[n],u[n],y[n];
    static  double x[n];
    w[0]=diag[0];
    for(i=0;i<(n-1);i++){
        u[i]=diag_sup[i]/w[i];
        w[i+1]=diag[i+1]-diag_inf[i+1]*u[i];
    }

y[0]=b[0]/w[0];    for(i=1;i<n;i++){
        y[i]=(b[i]-y[i-1]*diag_inf[i])/w[i];
    }

x[n-1]=y[n-1];

for(i=(n-1);i>=1;i--){
        x[i-1]=y[i-1]-x[i]*u[i-1];
    }

return x;
}

int main(){
    //Variables
    double alfa,beta,delta,gamma;
    double a[n],e[n],c[n],b[n];
    int i;

//Boundary conditions
    alfa=0.;
    beta=0.;
    delta=0.;
    gamma=0.;

//Tridiagonal matrix
    for (i=0; i<n; i++){
        a[i] = 5.;
        e[i] = 2.;
        c[i+1] = 2.;
    }

//Right side matrix
    for(i=0;i<n;i++){
        b[i]=i;
    }

//Solution
    double *sol;
    sol = lu(a,e,c,b);
    for(i=0;i<n;i++){
        printf("%lf %lf\n",i*h,*(sol+i));
    }
}

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see your finite difference equations.

Likes apgt512
Chestermiller said:
Let's see your finite difference equations.
Well this is the equation:
$$-ru_{i+1}^{n+1} + (1+2r)u_i^{n+1} - ru^{n+1}_{i-1} = ru^n_{i+1} + (1-2r)u_i^n + ru^n_{i-1}.$$
Where
$$r=\frac{\sqrt{2} \Delta t}{2(\Delta x)^2}$$
And that equation can be seen as a matrix problem ##Au=b##. But I don't know how to convert the equation to a matrix problem. What do I put in the tridiagonal matrix A, and what do I put in b?. And after I find the solution u, do I use that solution u as the matrix b for the next step in time?.
Thank you!

I suggest you start with the case of a few discretisation points only (say three) and look at the equations for each point and try to write that equation in matrix form. You also need to find ##b##.

apgt512 said:
And after I find the solution u, do I use that solution u as the matrix b for the next step in time?.
Yes.

Likes apgt512
I checked your difference equation, and it is correct. b is a column vector, and, since each u on the right hand side is already known, b is the entire rhs of the difference equation for the A row centered at i. The dependent variable values at n+1 are the unknowns you are solving for at each time step. (1+2r) runs all the way down the diagonal of the A matrix, and each element along the main diagonal has this value. For each element immediately to the left and right of the main diagonal in a given row of A, the element values are both -r. All the other elements of the A matrix are zero. So you have 3 diagonals running from the upper left corner of A to the lower right corner.

Likes apgt512
Also, as a matter of curiosity, note that ##b = B u^{n}## and ##Au^{n+1} = b##, where ##B## is another tridiagonal matrix results in ##u^{n+1} = A^{-1} B u^n## and therefore ##u^n = (A^{-1}B)^n u^0##.

Likes apgt512
I have a very interesting approach for you to consider that should greatly simplify the numerics, or at least the amount of computation that needs to be done at each time step. I don't know whether this is a standard way of working such a problem.

Divide the finite difference equation by r to obtain:
$$-u_{i+1}^{n+1} + (2+1/r)u_i^{n+1} - u^{n+1}_{i-1} = u^n_{i+1} + (-2+1/r)u_i^n + u^n_{i-1}\tag{1}$$

So now the A matrix has row elements along the three adjacent diagonals of -1, (2+1/r), -1. This is the new A matrix. Eqn. 1 can now be rewritten as:
$$Au^{n+1}=-Au^n+\frac{2}{r}u^n\tag{2}$$
The solution to Eqn. 2 can then be written as: $$u^{n+1}=-u^n+\frac{2}{r}A^{-1}u^n\tag{3}$$
So, according to Eqn. 3, you can get the solution for ##u^{n+1}## by
1. Applying the inverse of the matrix A to ##u^n##
2. Multiplying by 2/r
3. Subtracting ##u^n##

Likes apgt512

What is the time dependent heat equation?

The time dependent heat equation is a mathematical equation that describes the diffusion of heat over time in a given physical system. It takes into account factors such as the initial temperature distribution, the thermal conductivity of the system, and any external heat sources or sinks.

What is the physical significance of the time dependent heat equation?

The time dependent heat equation has important applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science. It is used to model and predict the behavior of thermal systems, such as heat transfer in buildings, the cooling of electronic devices, and the melting of materials.

How does the time dependent heat equation differ from the time-independent heat equation?

The time dependent heat equation includes an additional term to account for changes in temperature over time, while the time-independent heat equation assumes a constant temperature distribution. The time dependent equation is more complex and requires numerical methods for solving, while the time-independent equation can often be solved analytically.

What are the boundary conditions for the time dependent heat equation?

The boundary conditions for the time dependent heat equation typically include the initial temperature distribution, the thermal conductivity of the system, and any heat sources or sinks. They can also include boundary conditions at the edges of the system, such as fixed or varying temperatures or heat fluxes.

What numerical methods are commonly used to solve the time dependent heat equation?

Some common numerical methods for solving the time dependent heat equation include the finite difference method, finite element method, and the method of lines. These methods discretize the equation and use iterative techniques to calculate the temperature distribution over time.