1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dependent lagrangian

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    Suppose I have a mechanical system with l + m degrees of freedom and an associated lagrangian

[itex]L(\alpha,\beta,\dot{\alpha},\dot{\beta},t)[/itex]

where [itex]\alpha\in\mathbb{R}^l[/itex] and [itex]\beta\in\mathbb{R}^m[/itex].
    Now suppose I have a known [itex]\mathbb{R}^l[/itex]-valued function f(t) and define a new lagrangian

[itex]M(\beta,\dot{\beta},t)=L(f(t),\beta,\dot{f}(t), \dot{\beta},t)[/itex]

Do the equations that derive from M correctly describe the motion of the initial mechanical system, where the first l degrees of freedom are constrained to the motion f(t) (by means of an external force)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q} } [/tex]
    where q is any one of the coordinates of [itex]\alpha[/itex] or [itex]\beta[/itex] (i.e. there are l+m separate equations).
    From this, I would assume that [itex]M(\beta , \dot{\beta} , t) [/itex] would be correct, because this simply gives the m equations, which correspond to [itex]\beta[/itex].
    (I know I've not done a rigorous proof or anything, but this seems to make sense to me).

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3
    Uhm, please don't let me write the formula, but when you take the derivative with respect to t of the momentum dM/dv, don't you get extra terms due to f(t) and df(t)/dt?

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Yes, this is correct. In fact it's done all the time: write down T and V as if the particles were entirely free, and then impose the constraints on them. The Lagrangian M you get from this will describe the motion of the constrained system.

What you cannot do is the other way around: trying to substitute f(t) into the equations of motion you originally derived from L.

6. Aug 4, 2011 #5
    Yes, it sounds so obvious. I feel stupid now... :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook