1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dependent magnetic field

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a problem with the next situation. I have a magnetic dipole moving at constant speed on the z axis. On the plane z=0 I have a circular wire with a resistance R and radius a. I have to calculate the electromotive force on the wire as a function of the speed of the dipole, v, the position of the dipole ,z, and the dipolar moment m.

2. Relevant equations
    ε=-dΦ/dt, where ε is the electromotive force and Φ is the magnetic flux.
    B=(μ0/(4π))*(3r(r*m)/r5-m/r3)
    Φ=∫Bds
    ds
    =( cosφ, sinφ, 0)
    r = (a cos φ, a sinφ, z)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Once I calculate a huge expression for the magnetostatic field, B, and I integrate to find the flux, my problem comes; I have to make a time derivate, and the only time dependent factor here is z; but Φ(r(z(t))) do I have to derivate (∂Φ/∂z)(dz/dt)=(∂Φ/∂z)v or do I have to do something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Why are you trying to calculate the magnetostatic field? Shouldn't the field be dynamic? Otherwise there would be no emf.

I don't see a way around integrating spatially and then differentiating temporally, if that's what you're asking. Also, you're using cartesian coordinates? I think your life would be much easier if you worked in cylindrical. Just my opinion though.

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3
    Well I Integrate in cartesian because I feel more comfortable doing operating with them; what is more, when I make the scalar product BdS I have an scalar multipied by sin2+cos2, so the dependance with the angle dissapears. My main concern here is not about the coordinates, but how to determine the electromagnetic foerce, -d/dt(∫BdS)

5. Dec 8, 2014 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

One of the variables in B is a function of time.

6. Dec 8, 2014 #5
    yes, B(r(z(t))), there is whem my doubt comes, do I simply derivate ∂B/∂z and them muptiply by dz/dt=v?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  7. Dec 8, 2014 #6

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Does r(t) equal z(t) for all points on the surface?

8. Dec 8, 2014 #7
    No, r=Sqrt(z^2+a^2), where a is the radius of the wire

9. Dec 8, 2014 #8

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Ok, so do you know how to chainrule derivatives? You either have to chainrule twice or substitute, frankly.

10. Dec 9, 2014 #9
    That's it, I only wanted to know if I had to apply the chain rule twice.
    Thanks.

11. Dec 9, 2014 #10

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

No problem

12. Dec 9, 2014 #11
    I realize you already solved it but I strongly suggest that you look up a youtube video on cylindrical/spherical coordinates. It makes E&M so much easier and if you ignore the derivation there are only two very easy formulas to remember.

Just my two cents. It will be well worth a 30 min or-so investment of your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted