Calculating Electromotive Force in a Time-Dependent Magnetic Field

In summary, the student is trying to find the electromotive force on a wire that is moving on the z axis and has a circular wire with a resistance and radius. The student has to calculate the electromotive force as a function of the speed of the dipole, the position of the dipole, and the dipolar moment.
Frank Einstein

Homework Statement

I have a problem with the next situation. I have a magnetic dipole moving at constant speed on the z axis. On the plane z=0 I have a circular wire with a resistance R and radius a. I have to calculate the electromotive force on the wire as a function of the speed of the dipole, v, the position of the dipole ,z, and the dipolar moment m.

Homework Equations

ε=-dΦ/dt, where ε is the electromotive force and Φ is the magnetic flux.
B=(μ0/(4π))*(3r(r*m)/r5-m/r3)
Φ=∫Bds
ds
=( cosφ, sinφ, 0)
r = (a cos φ, a sinφ, z)

The Attempt at a Solution

Once I calculate a huge expression for the magnetostatic field, B, and I integrate to find the flux, my problem comes; I have to make a time derivate, and the only time dependent factor here is z; but Φ(r(z(t))) do I have to derivate (∂Φ/∂z)(dz/dt)=(∂Φ/∂z)v or do I have to do something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you trying to calculate the magnetostatic field? Shouldn't the field be dynamic? Otherwise there would be no emf.

I don't see a way around integrating spatially and then differentiating temporally, if that's what you're asking. Also, you're using cartesian coordinates? I think your life would be much easier if you worked in cylindrical. Just my opinion though.

Well I Integrate in cartesian because I feel more comfortable doing operating with them; what is more, when I make the scalar product BdS I have an scalar multipied by sin2+cos2, so the dependence with the angle dissapears. My main concern here is not about the coordinates, but how to determine the electromagnetic foerce, -d/dt(∫BdS)

One of the variables in B is a function of time.

yes, B(r(z(t))), there is whem my doubt comes, do I simply derivate ∂B/∂z and them muptiply by dz/dt=v?

Last edited:
Does r(t) equal z(t) for all points on the surface?

No, r=Sqrt(z^2+a^2), where a is the radius of the wire

Ok, so do you know how to chainrule derivatives? You either have to chainrule twice or substitute, frankly.

That's it, I only wanted to know if I had to apply the chain rule twice.
Thanks.

No problem

I realize you already solved it but I strongly suggest that you look up a youtube video on cylindrical/spherical coordinates. It makes E&M so much easier and if you ignore the derivation there are only two very easy formulas to remember.

Just my two cents. It will be well worth a 30 min or-so investment of your time.

1. What is a time dependent magnetic field?

A time dependent magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that changes over time. This means that the strength and direction of the magnetic field is not constant and can vary at different points in time.

2. How is a time dependent magnetic field created?

A time dependent magnetic field can be created by either moving a magnet or an electric current, or by changing the orientation of a magnetic field. This causes the magnetic field lines to shift and change, resulting in a time dependent magnetic field.

3. What are the effects of a time dependent magnetic field?

A time dependent magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor, and vice versa. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many technologies such as generators and transformers. Time dependent magnetic fields can also cause charged particles to accelerate, which can be observed in phenomena like the Northern Lights.

4. How is a time dependent magnetic field measured?

A time dependent magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect changes in the magnetic field and provide information about its strength and direction. Magnetometers are used in various fields such as geology, navigation, and space science.

5. What are some real-world applications of time dependent magnetic fields?

Time dependent magnetic fields have many practical applications, such as in power generation, communication systems, and medical imaging. They are also used in research and experiments to study the behavior of particles and fields. Additionally, time dependent magnetic fields play a crucial role in understanding and predicting space weather and its impact on Earth and satellites.