Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory - Two-level System

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution attempt for a problem labeled "Peatross 1" involving calculating the expectation value of the position operator for a harmonic oscillator. The formula for a harmonic oscillator is used and the integral is computed, with some suggestions for improving the calculation process.
DanielFaraday

Homework Statement

See attached. The problem is labeled "Peatross 1". Don't worry, it's short. I just didn't feel like retyping it.

Homework Equations

Included in attempt.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly, but here it goes.

I'll just do it for [tex]H'_{10}[/tex], since the method will be the same for both.

I think all I have to do is calculate [tex]\psi_0[/tex] and [tex]\psi_1[/tex] using the following formula (for a harmonic oscillator):

[tex]\left\langle x | \psi_n \right\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{1}{2^n\,n!}} \cdot \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar}\right)^{1/4} \cdot \exp
\left(- \frac{m\omega x^2}{2 \hbar} \right) \cdot H_n\left(\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} x \right)[/tex]

Then just compute the resulting integral (probably in Mathematica):

[tex]\int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \psi_0 exE_0 \sin{\omega_L t\psi_1^*} dx[/tex]

Is this all there is to it, or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Physics452HW12.pdf
    187.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! As a fellow scientist, I wanted to offer some feedback on your solution attempt.

Firstly, your use of the formula for a harmonic oscillator is correct. However, I would suggest including the explicit values for m, ω, and ℏ in your calculations, as this will make it easier to plug in values later on.

Additionally, it seems like you may have mixed up the variables in your integral. The integral should be with respect to time (t) instead of position (x), since we are calculating the expectation value of the position operator. So the integral should be:

\int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \psi_0 x \psi_1^* exE_0 \sin{\omega_L t} dt

Also, don't forget to include the complex conjugate of \psi_1 in the integral, since it appears in the expectation value as \psi_1^*.

Lastly, while using Mathematica is a great idea for computing the integral, I would also suggest double checking your calculation by hand to make sure everything is correct.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your problem.

1. What is Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory?

Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory is a mathematical approach used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a system that is being perturbed or influenced by an external force or potential over time. It allows for the calculation of the system's energy levels and transition probabilities in the presence of the perturbation.

2. How does Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory work?

In Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory, the Hamiltonian of the system is split into two parts: the unperturbed Hamiltonian, which describes the system without any external influence, and the perturbation Hamiltonian, which represents the external force or potential. The solution to the Schrödinger equation is then expanded as a series in terms of the perturbation, and the coefficients of this series are used to calculate the energy levels and transition probabilities of the system.

3. What is a Two-level System?

A Two-level System is a quantum mechanical system that has only two energy levels. It is often used as a simple model to study the effects of a perturbation, as it allows for easy calculations and provides insights into more complex systems.

4. What are the assumptions made in Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory?

The main assumptions in Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory are that the perturbation is small and that the unperturbed system is known and solvable. Additionally, it is assumed that the perturbation is turned on and off adiabatically, meaning that it changes slowly enough for the system to adapt to the new conditions at each step.

5. What are the applications of Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory?

Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory has various applications in quantum mechanics, such as in the study of atomic and molecular systems, solid-state physics, and quantum computing. It is also used in fields such as spectroscopy, where it allows for the interpretation of experimental results and the determination of molecular and atomic properties.