1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-dependent wavefunction

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If given, for instance, psi(phi, 0)=[1/sqrt(2pi)](cos^2(phi/2) + isin(phi)), which is the wavefunction at t=0, how do you go about finding the wavefunction at time t, psi(phi,t)??

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Would it simply be psi(phi, t)=psi(phi,0)e^(-iEt/hbar)??

The given wavefunction is for a particle on a ring.... and for that, E_n=(hbar^2)(m^2)/(2I) where I=mr^2. Is that the value of "E" I plug into the above equation??

Is there any other constant that I have to multiply the psi(phi,t) equation by as a result of adding on the e^(-iEt/hbar) term??

Any help would be great, I'm not entirely sure if I get this :-/
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

In general, you have to write the initial wave function as a sum of energy eigenfunctions with suitable coefficients. Then, as time evolves, each term gets multiplied by e^(-iE_n t/hbar), where E_n is the eigenenergy of that eigenfunction.
  4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    I'm not sure how to express psi (phi, 0) as a sum of energy eigenfunctions in this case...
  5. Nov 20, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

What are the energy eigenfunctions?

If it's a free particle on a ring, they should be e^(i n phi), n=...,-1,0,+1,..., up to normalization. (The m^2 in your E_n should be n^2, no?)

Your psi(phi,0) is some trig functions; can you express these in terms of complex exponentials?
  6. Nov 20, 2007 #5
    yes and yes. (1/sqrt(2pi))e^(i n phi) is the eigenfunction. and I really meant n^2 when I said m^2 previously...

I just expressed my psi(phi, 0) in exponential terms. The psi I gave in the original post left out some constants, but when I do take into account those:

psi(phi,0)=sqrt(1/4pi) (e^(i phi) + 1)

but how does this get into a summation form..? :-/
  7. Nov 20, 2007 #6

Science Advisor

It already is in a summation form. You have

psi(phi,0) = (1/sqrt(2))( psi_1(phi) + psi_0(phi) ),

where psi_n(phi) is the eigenfunction.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?