Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time derivate of the Expectation value for the product of position and momentum ops

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    Hey does anybody have an idea of how to prove that

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle= 2\left\langle{T}\right\rangle-\left\langle{x\frac{dV}{dx}}\right\rangle[/tex] for a hamiltonian of form
    [tex]H=\frac{P^2}{2M}+V(x)[/tex]
    where X is the position operator, P is the momentum and T is the kinetic energy. I got through the first chain rule and got
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle=2\frac{\hbar}{i}\int{x\psi^*\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial t\partial x}}-\frac{\hbar}{i}\int{x\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial t}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}[/tex]
    with negative infinity to positive infinity bounds on the integrals. I tried integrating the first one by parts and it just gets even more messy.

I don't know where to go from here it's kind of starting to look like it should but I have no luck when I start substituting [tex]\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial t}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}[/tex] from shcrodingers. Can anybode help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2
    Use Ehrenfest's theorem:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\langle A\rangle = \frac{1}{i\hbar}\langle [A,H] \rangle + \left\langle \frac{\partial A}{\partial t}\right\rangle[/tex]

If you don't know how to prove it, see any QM text.

4. Apr 30, 2008 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would also advice you to use Ehrenfest's theorem.

Look for a derivation on wikipedia or QM books like Sakurai etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?