Proving $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ for Hamiltonian H

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the equation \frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle= 2\left\langle{T}\right\rangle-\left\langle{x\frac{dV}{dx}}\right\rangle for a Hamiltonian of the form H=\frac{P^2}{2M}+V(x), using Ehrenfest's theorem. The speaker has gone through the first chain rule and attempted to integrate by parts, but is struggling with substituting \frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial t} and \frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}. They are advised to look for a derivation of Ehrenfest's theorem in a
bspoka
Hey does anybody have an idea of how to prove that

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle= 2\left\langle{T}\right\rangle-\left\langle{x\frac{dV}{dx}}\right\rangle[/tex] for a hamiltonian of form
[tex]H=\frac{P^2}{2M}+V(x)[/tex]
where X is the position operator, P is the momentum and T is the kinetic energy. I got through the first chain rule and got
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle=2\frac{\hbar}{i}\int{x\psi^*\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial t\partial x}}-\frac{\hbar}{i}\int{x\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial t}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}[/tex]
with negative infinity to positive infinity bounds on the integrals. I tried integrating the first one by parts and it just gets even more messy.

I don't know where to go from here it's kind of starting to look like it should but I have no luck when I start substituting [tex]\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial t}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}[/tex] from shcrodingers. Can anybode help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Ehrenfest's theorem:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\langle A\rangle = \frac{1}{i\hbar}\langle [A,H] \rangle + \left\langle \frac{\partial A}{\partial t}\right\rangle[/tex]

If you don't know how to prove it, see any QM text.

I would also advice you to use Ehrenfest's theorem.

Look for a derivation on wikipedia or QM books like Sakurai etc.

1. How do you prove the formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ in Hamiltonian mechanics?

In order to prove the formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ in Hamiltonian mechanics, we first need to understand the basics of Hamiltonian mechanics. This is a mathematical framework for studying the dynamics of a system, where the state of the system is described by a set of coordinates and their corresponding momenta. The Hamiltonian, denoted by H, is a function that describes the total energy of the system. Now, to prove the formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$, we need to use the equations of motion in Hamiltonian mechanics, which are derived from the Lagrangian equations of motion.

2. What is the significance of $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ in Hamiltonian mechanics?

In Hamiltonian mechanics, $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ is known as the time derivative of the expectation value of the position and momentum operators. This quantity is important because it represents the rate of change of the average position-momentum product of a system. It allows us to study the dynamics of a system and make predictions about its future behavior.

3. How is the formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ derived from the Hamiltonian?

The formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ can be derived from the Hamiltonian using the Heisenberg equations of motion. These equations describe the time evolution of operators in quantum mechanics. By taking the time derivative of the expectation value of the position and momentum operators, and using the Heisenberg equations, we can obtain the formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ in terms of the Hamiltonian and the commutator of the position and momentum operators.

4. Can the formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ be applied to any Hamiltonian system?

Yes, the formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ can be applied to any Hamiltonian system, as long as the system is described by a Hamiltonian and the necessary equations of motion are known. This formula is a fundamental result in Hamiltonian mechanics and is widely used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics and classical mechanics.

5. How can the formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ be used to study the behavior of a system?

The formula for $\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle{XP}\right\rangle$ can be used to study the behavior of a system by providing information about the rate of change of the average position-momentum product. This can help us understand the dynamics of the system and make predictions about its future behavior. Additionally, by applying this formula to different Hamiltonian systems, we can compare the behavior of these systems and gain insights into their underlying dynamics.