Time derivative of relativistic momentum help

The derivative of a constant is always zero, so it does not affect the overall result. In summary, taking the time derivative of ϒmv involves using the product rule and considering systems that conserve mass. The minus sign in the equation is a result of dropping a negative sign, and the correct answer involves using the chain rule. The constant c is left in the equation because it does not affect the overall result.
diewlasing
How does one take the time derivative of ϒmv ?

I tried treating gamma and mv as separate functions but it just gets messy and ultimately wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
diewlasing said:
How does one take the time derivative of ϒmv ?

I tried treating gamma and mv as separate functions but it just gets messy and ultimately wrong.

Well, the product rule simply gives:
[tex] \dot {\vec{p}} = \dot {\gamma} m \vec{v} + \gamma \dot {m} \vec{v} + \gamma m \dot {\vec{v}} [/tex]

For systems that conserve mass, [tex] \dot m =0 [/tex]. While,
[tex] \dot {\gamma} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( 1- \frac{v^2}{c^2} \right) ^{-1/2} = \left( \frac{-1}{2} \right) \left( \frac{2v \dot {v} }{c^2} \right) \left( 1- \frac{v^2}{c^2} \right) ^{-3/2} = - \gamma ^3 \left( \frac{v \dot {v}}{c^2} \right) [/tex]

And so,

[tex]\dot {\vec{p}} = \gamma m \dot {\vec{v}} -\gamma ^3 m \left( \frac{v \dot {v}}{c^2} \right) \vec{v} =\gamma m {\vec{a}} -\gamma ^3 m \left( \frac{v a}{c^2} \right) \vec{v} [/tex]

Why is [tex] \left( \frac{2v \dot {v} }{c^2} \right) [/tex] not [tex]\left( \frac{-2v \dot {v} }{c^2} \right)[/tex]? What happened to the minus sign?

snoopies622 said:
Why is [tex] \left( \frac{2v \dot {v} }{c^2} \right) [/tex] not [tex]\left( \frac{-2v \dot {v} }{c^2} \right)[/tex]? What happened to the minus sign?

OOps,. my bad:redface:. Yes I accidentally dropped a negative sign. The correct answer should be
[tex]\dot {\vec{p}} = \gamma m \dot {\vec{v}} +\gamma ^3 m \left( \frac{v \dot {v}}{c^2} \right) \vec{v} =\gamma m {\vec{a}} +\gamma ^3 m \left( \frac{v a}{c^2} \right) \vec{v}[/tex]

Ah yes, thank you

i can't get (−2*v*v/c^2). what rule do we use on this? can anybody show a more detail step on this part?

Last edited:
sgwayne said:
i can't get (−2*v*v/c^2). what rule do we use on this? can anybody show a more detail step on this part?

Chain rule. Since v is a function of t, the time derivative of 1-v^2/c^2 is -2v(dv/dt)/c^2.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=343032
I posted a similar question a year after this one if you want a second angle.

Last edited:
thanks master newbie, i was confused on the c^2 actually. so we just leave it as it is bcoz we want the derivative of v not c. correct me if I'm wrong.

It is left there because c (and c^2) is a constant.

1. What is the formula for calculating the time derivative of relativistic momentum?

The formula for calculating the time derivative of relativistic momentum is dP/dt = v(dm/dt) + m(dv/dt), where P is the momentum, t is time, v is velocity, and m is mass.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, whereas classical momentum only considers the mass and velocity of an object.

3. What is the significance of the time derivative of relativistic momentum in physics?

The time derivative of relativistic momentum is important in understanding how an object's momentum changes over time and how it is affected by various factors such as acceleration and mass changes.

4. Can the time derivative of relativistic momentum be negative?

Yes, the time derivative of relativistic momentum can be negative. This indicates that the momentum is decreasing over time, which could occur if the object is slowing down or losing mass.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the time derivative of relativistic momentum?

Yes, the time derivative of relativistic momentum is used in various fields of physics, such as particle physics and astrophysics, to understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and in extreme conditions.