1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time derivative

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    I'm wondering, how does 2 multiplied by the first and second time derivatives of x equal the time derivative of the time derivative of x squared. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ummm... You mean,
    [tex]2\frac{d^2}{dt^2} f(t) = \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{d}{dt} f(t) \right)^2[/tex]
    This would be done by the chain rule. That is,
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} (f(x))^2 = 2f(x)\frac{d}{dx}f(x)[/tex]
    In this sense, we take the two from the power of d/dt f(t) and take that as a coefficient, reduce the power by one, and then take the time derivative of d/dt f(t). I originally interpreted your question as
    [tex]2\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d^2}{dt^2} f(t) = \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{d}{dt} f(t) \right)^2[/tex]
    but I do not feel this expression is true.

EDIT: Ok, let's fix this.

Ummm... You mean,
    [tex]2\frac{d}{dt}f(t)\frac{d^2}{dt^2} f(t) = \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{d}{dt} f(t) \right)^2[/tex]
    This would be done by the chain rule. That is,
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} (f(x))^2 = 2f(x)\frac{d}{dx}f(x)[/tex]
    In this sense, we take the two from the power of d/dt f(t) and take that as a coefficient, reduce the power by one, and then take the time derivative of d/dt f(t).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. Dec 2, 2009 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let v = dx/dt and a = dv/dt. Then I believe he means, why does 2va = d/dt (v^2)?

It immediately follows from the chain rule:

d/dt(v^2) = 2v*d/dt(v) = 2va

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh gotcha, I missed an f in there when I wrote it out on paper.

[tex]2\frac{d}{dt}f(t)\frac{d^2}{dt^2} f(t) = \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{d}{dt} f(t) \right)^2[/tex]

Of course that would make my original statement wrong too....

I need more coffee.

6. Dec 2, 2009 #5
    Awesome, thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook