Who Ages Faster in Relativistic Travel?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where two people, A and B, move at 99% the speed of light for 5 years, while a third person, C, stays in the original frame of reference. According to the theory of relativity, both A and B would see the other person age slower, but upon returning to the same frame of reference, they would both be the same age while C would be older. The person asking the question considers potential complications in the experiment and seeks clarification on the concept of time dilation.
phja
i have read about the experiment of people ageing slower when moving at velocity and don't quite understand.

here's my experiment:

two people, person A and B, start off in the same referance frame (both are, say 20yrs old). person A flies off in one direction and person B in another. they accelerate to 99% c and stay like that for 5 years. from my understanding they would both see the other person age faster than themselves. now, after 5 years they turn around and come back to the same referance frame however they have seen the other person age faster than themselves. so my question is, who is older, or are they both the same age still. if we add person C who stayed in the initial referance frame and didn't accelerate, would A, B and C all be the same age or would C be older than A and B.

i suppose i may have missed some subtleties in how A and B observe each other when moving at 0.99c. is it possible that the amount of time it takes the light from A to reach B compansate for the slower ageing B would observe if the light traveled instantly.

PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer: A and B are the same age. C is older.

Check out my standard explanation here, or do a search for "twin paradox" to see other people's explanations.

Time dilation and aging are complex concepts in the field of physics that can be difficult to understand. The experiment you have described is a thought experiment commonly used to explain the concept of time dilation.

In this experiment, Person A and Person B start off in the same reference frame, meaning they are both at rest relative to each other. When they both start moving at 99% of the speed of light, they experience time dilation, which means that time appears to pass slower for them compared to someone who is at rest.

According to the theory of relativity, the faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for that object. In this case, Person A and Person B are moving at a very high speed, so time would appear to pass slower for them compared to someone who is at rest, such as Person C.

After 5 years, Person A and Person B turn around and come back to the same reference frame. At this point, they have experienced time dilation for a total of 10 years (5 years going out and 5 years coming back). So, according to their own experience, they would both be 10 years older.

However, from the perspective of Person C, who stayed in the initial reference frame, only 5 years have passed. This is because Person C did not experience time dilation and time passed normally for them.

So, to answer your question, all three people (A, B, and C) would technically be the same age, but their experiences of time would be different. This is because time is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference.

To address your last question, the amount of time it takes for light to travel from Person A to Person B does not compensate for the slower aging that Person B would observe. Time dilation is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity and is not affected by the speed of light.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of time dilation and aging. It is a complex concept, so don't worry if you still have questions. Keep exploring and learning about it, and eventually, it will start to make more sense.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects moving at different speeds. This means that time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at higher speeds compared to those that are stationary.

2. How does time dilation relate to ageing?

According to the theory of relativity, the closer an object is to the speed of light, the slower time will pass for that object. This means that astronauts who travel at high speeds will age slower compared to people on Earth due to time dilation.

3. What causes time dilation?

Time dilation is caused by the curvature of spacetime, which is influenced by factors such as gravity and velocity. The higher the speed an object is moving at, the more spacetime will be warped, resulting in time dilation.

4. Does time dilation only occur in space?

No, time dilation can also occur on Earth. However, the effects are so small that they are not noticeable in everyday life. Only at extremely high speeds, such as those observed in space travel, do the effects of time dilation become significant.

5. Is time dilation a proven phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through numerous experiments and observations. The most famous example is the Hafele-Keating experiment, in which atomic clocks were placed on airplanes and showed a difference in time compared to stationary clocks on Earth due to the speed and gravitational forces experienced by the planes.