1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Dialation

1. Jan 29, 2006 #1
    I have the attached equation
    but when I plug it, I dont get the same answer as in the back of the book...

Here is the question

Two observers, A on earth, B in a spacecraft whose speed is 2.0X10^8 m/s both set their watches to the same time, when the ship is abreast the earth.

How much time must elapse by A's reckoning before the watches differ by 1.00 seconds?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2006 #2
    just a quick thought

you do know that the speed of light is normalised to 1

hence if you are travelling at 2x10^8 ms^-1 you are traveling 2/3 times the speed of light hence your speed is 2/3 relative to light

does this help in anyway

4. Jan 29, 2006 #3
    i understand it is 2/3 the speed of light but am I using the right equation?
    using this equation I found that one second passes for A as 1.34 seconds passes to person B. But not sure how the book gets 3.92s as the answer

5. Jan 29, 2006 #4
    I can't see the equation yet because it hasn't been moderated however if you are using the following equation

1/sqrt(1-\v^/c^2)

then I get the same answer as you 1.34s

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  6. Jan 29, 2006 #5
    yes I am using the same equation as you, but the answer in the back of the book is 3.93, not 1.34

7. Jan 29, 2006 #6
    Hey,
    For that question, my answer is 2.93 for A. If the question asks B's time, then I guess it's 3.93... I don't know... xD

8. Jan 29, 2006 #7

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's the point, you are looking for how much time has passed for A when the difference between A and B is one sec. In the example you just gave, A reads 1.34 sec and B reads 1 sec, for a difference of 0.34 sec.

Hint: you are looking for the value of T0 when T1= T0-1

9. Jan 29, 2006 #8
    or in a different notation,

[tex]\Delta t_A - \Delta t_B = 1 sec [/tex]

You are asked to find [tex]\Delta t_A [/tex]

10. Jan 29, 2006 #9
    I get it now. Thanks guys I appreciate the help. This semster of modern physics is going to be tough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?