Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dialation

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    Hi

I'm not a physicist, but I have a keen passion for physics.

If we could shrink a clock down to the smallest particle we know, and smaller. Then observe it. Would we witness a time dialation?
    Then, if we had to repeat this experiment, glueing the clock to the smallest particle we know and then creating an explosion. Would the energetic particles result in a time dialation when witnessed from an earth-sized observer?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2
    This really isn't a quantum mechanics question. But yes, in the same sense that if you squished a planet down small enough it would turn into a black hole and time dilation would take effect. Scale does determine measurement. The uncertainty principle is another example of scale effecting measurement.

Would an explosion be defined as reverse dilation? It currently isn't defined that way. But I would say yes in my personal opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook