What Is Time Dilation and How Does It Affect Travel at the Speed of Light?

• Thread starter Waxb18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses various topics such as the possibility of uploading consciousness to a computer, a planet made of diamonds, and the concept of traveling at the speed of light. The participants question how time would be affected if they were to travel to the diamond planet at the speed of light, and also discuss the potential dangers and benefits of such a trip. They also mention the availability of turning human ashes into diamonds on Earth.
Waxb18
Hello all...

I am by no means a physicist and neither are my colleagues, however at time we find ourselves discussing the the most bizarre subjects ranging from do we really exist to would it one day be possible to upload out conciousness to a computer and live eternally.

Todays subject is traveling at the speed of light and we're all stumped...

As you may or may not have heard scientists have discovered a planet 40 light years away made from diamonds :eek:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/astronomers-diamond-planet-180659708.html

the Question we have, is if we traveled at the speed of light in a straight line to get to this planet, loaded up a pocketful of diamonds and traveled back in a straight line,

How long would have passed on earth?
and how long would have passed on our ship?

Please note we're not physicists but Business Analysts

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Waxb18 said:
Hello all...

I am by no means a physicist and neither are my colleagues, however at time we find ourselves discussing the the most bizarre subjects ranging from do we really exist to would it one day be possible to upload out conciousness to a computer and live eternally.

Todays subject is traveling at the speed of light and we're all stumped...

As you may or may not have heard scientists have discovered a planet 40 light years away made from diamonds :eek:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/astronomers-diamond-planet-180659708.html

the Question we have, is if we traveled at the speed of light in a straight line to get to this planet, loaded up a pocketful of diamonds and traveled back in a straight line,

How long would have passed on earth?
and how long would have passed on our ship?

Please note we're not physicists but Business Analysts
Since the planet is 40 light years away, it would take light 40 years to get there and another 40 years to get back for a total of 80 years.

However, you cannot travel at the speed of light so the answer for you is that it would take you just over 80 years to make the round trip so if you leave now you could get back by the end of 2092. The good news is that you won't age hardly at all during the trip although who knows what this world will be like in 2092, maybe a pocketful of diamonds will be worthless.

Last edited by a moderator:
right...ill get packing my bags

Better pack a jack hammer. It sounds like the diamonds there might be too big to fit into your pocket.

Also, be forewarned, at the temperature of the planet, all the carbon in your body might just be turned into diamond when you get there.

A photon travels at the speed of light. Anything traveling at the speed of light doesn't really experience the passage of time, even though it moves through space and time.

That also means it's not a realistic thing to ask about going to another planet at the speed of light. It's not just impractical--the theory makes it impossible. You can get close to the speed of light, and the time it takes will depend on just how close you get. I wasn't able to find any references on this specific problem, but doing some napkin math, here's a basic idea regarding the result I get:

Example: you travel to the diamond planet at 99.9% of the speed of light. According to Earth, the time it takes you is 40 years / .999 = about 40 years and 15 days. However, according to you, the time it takes you to travel this time is about 1 year and 9.5 months.

Sorry but i never got the opportunity to study napkin math...

Can you explain where you get 1 year 9.5 months from?

You take the time it would take according to Earth and divide out a factor called [itex]\gamma=(1-.999^2)^{-1/2} \approx 22[/itex] or so. Can't remember the exact value off the top of my head. This gamma factor shows up a lot in relativity.

ghwellsjr said:
Also, be forewarned, at the temperature of the planet, all the carbon in your body might just be turned into diamond when you get there.

lol,

I foresee a superhero...Note this service is available on Earth now. No longer just an urn of ashes, now you can get a diamond.

now I am wondering how many karats I would be.

Muphrid said:
Anything traveling at the speed of light doesn't really experience the passage of time, even though it moves through space and time.

Have we ever seen light move through space?

Not sure what you're asking. Light has a speed, so yes, it moves through space. Since I'm not sure what you mean, what makes you uncertain?

Muphrid said:
Not sure what you're asking. Light has a speed, so yes, it moves through space. Since I'm not sure what you mean, what makes you uncertain?

ohh through space... not in space.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass differently for objects in different frames of reference. It occurs due to the distortion of the fabric of space-time by massive objects, such as planets or stars.

2. How does time dilation affect us?

Time dilation has a small but measurable effect on our daily lives. GPS satellites, for example, have to account for time dilation in order to accurately calculate location and time on Earth. However, the effects of time dilation are only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in the presence of extremely massive objects.

3. Can time dilation be reversed?

No, time dilation cannot be reversed. It is a natural consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity and is an integral part of our understanding of the universe. However, it is possible to slow down the effects of time dilation by travelling at slower speeds or being in a less intense gravitational field.

4. How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation can be measured using atomic clocks. These clocks are extremely precise and can detect even the smallest differences in time between two objects. By comparing the time on a clock in a stationary frame of reference with the time on a clock in a moving frame of reference, the effects of time dilation can be observed.

5. Is time dilation the same as time travel?

No, time dilation is not the same as time travel. Time dilation refers to the difference in the passage of time between two objects in different frames of reference. Time travel, on the other hand, involves moving through time to different points in the past or future. While time dilation may make it seem like time is passing at a different rate, it does not allow for travelling through time.