Solving for Y: A Spacecraft's Speed at 0.4 of Light

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Speed
In summary, The conversation discusses finding the y value of a spaceship traveling at 0.4 the speed of light using the equation y=1/\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}. The calculated value is y=7.64*10^11. The conversation also mentions a chart that states the y value should only be approximately 1 at this speed. The dimensionless "y" represents the time dilation factor and the conversation addresses the units of measurement for time dilation. It also briefly mentions experiencing a "Domain Error" while using a calculator, but it is resolved and the correct answer is obtained.
Stratosphere

Homework Statement

A spaceship is going at .4 the speed of light, find its y value.

Homework Equations

i think your suppose to use y=1/[tex]\sqrt{}1-(v/c)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got y=7.64*10^11
I also see a chart that says at .4 of c the y should only equal abought 1.
My calculator was also say " Domain Error" I don't know why. Also what exactly does y stand for?

Physics news on Phys.org
What units do you measure time dialtion in?

Stratosphere said:
What units do you measure time dialtion in?

It's dimensionless. It's a ratio of two times.

Yes, your answer will be very close to 1. Time dilation doesn't get very large until you get very close to c.

Why do i keep getting Domain error.

Stratosphere said:
Why do i keep getting Domain error.

Can you show us explicitly what you type or key in?

Never mind I think my calculator was malfunctioning, I just got it to work and got the right answer.

1. How can you calculate the speed of a spacecraft at 0.4 of light?

The speed of a spacecraft at 0.4 of light can be calculated by using the equation v = 0.4c, where v is the velocity and c is the speed of light.

2. Why is it important to know the speed of a spacecraft at 0.4 of light?

Knowing the speed of a spacecraft at 0.4 of light is important for understanding the capabilities and limitations of the spacecraft. It can also help in planning and executing missions, as well as predicting the amount of time it will take for the spacecraft to reach its destination.

3. What factors can affect a spacecraft's speed at 0.4 of light?

The speed of a spacecraft at 0.4 of light can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the spacecraft, external forces such as gravity or propulsion, and the distance traveled.

4. Can a spacecraft travel faster than 0.4 of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. Therefore, a spacecraft cannot travel faster than 0.4 of light.

5. How does the speed of a spacecraft at 0.4 of light compare to other speeds?

The speed of a spacecraft at 0.4 of light is extremely fast and can be difficult to comprehend. To put it into perspective, it is about 120 million meters per second or 267 million miles per hour. This is much faster than the speed of sound or the speed of a bullet.