Time Dilation at Rest: Theoretical Perspectives

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time experienced by a fixed point in the universe and whether the time dilation formula holds true. It is concluded that there is no absolute velocity and the formula only applies to relative velocity. The conversation also includes a suggestion to read the FAQ in the cosmology section for more information. The idea of reinventing the wheel is brought up, with potential consequences of doing so in the field of cosmology.
jredinger
I'm wondering if there are any theories of how time would be experienced by a fixed point in the universe.

I realize the relative nature of the time dilation formula, but I find myself wondering if it would be any different if there was no movement at all.

I mean, after all - we're all moving through space, quite fast in fact, at 1.3 million miles per hour according to this article:

http://www.astrosociety.org/edu/publications/tnl/71/howfast.html

Is there an accepted theory on this? Or does the formula hold true? Theoretically it seems to me that, from the perspective of that fixed point in space, time would seem to stop all around it. Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a real question.

Absolute velocity can't be defined, so all that matters is relative velocity. So your question isn't really valid, there is no 'fixed point in space' (and btw, if there was - which there isn't - time wouldn't stop).

Or to put it another way: you are moving at zero speed, with respect to yourself and a lot of other objects that are also stationary with respect to you.

If you are interested in cosmology, I suggest you read the FAQ in the cosmology section

Thanks for the replies. I figured out where my logic was taking me - if everything was moving at zero speed relative to me, then obviously, from my perspective, it wouldn't be moving!

Bah.

Thanks for the suggestion btw, but at the moment I'm sort of in the frame of mind that I want to 'reinvent the wheel' because I'm not entirely convinced of it's efficiency. And I'm speaking metaphorically;) So please, no lectures on the efficiency of the wheel! Haha!

jredinger said:
Thanks for the suggestion btw, but at the moment I'm sort of in the frame of mind that I want to 'reinvent the wheel' because I'm not entirely convinced of it's efficiency. And I'm speaking metaphorically;) So please, no lectures on the efficiency of the wheel! Haha!

If by reinventing the wheel, you mean that you intend to come here and ask questions that are already covered in the FAQ, I doubt that will go over very well. Modern cosmology is complicated enough without tying one hand behind your back by deliberately ignoring readily available knowledge.

The best case scenario for re-inventing the wheel is that you get the same results as everyone else does, but by a different process, so it becomes difficult to communicate with them. This can be mitigated if you understand the "standard" wheel as well as your own wheel, so that you are at least able (probably with some additional effort, since you are used to doing it a different way) to talk about things in a standard manner.

The worst case scenario for re-inventing the wheel is that you get different results as everyone else, and wind up isolated in your own little world. There's various unpleasant names for this, but in any event you wind up pretty much isolated and unable to communicate sensibly with anyone else in the subject.

The third scenario (and I see this more often than I'd like) is that you think about the wheel in your own non-standard way, talk about it in your own non-standard way, and that we and the rest of the science advisors spend quite a bit of time trying to figure out what you're talking about. This usually leads to long confused threads, or possibly a total lack of replies if nobody can(or wants to take the time) to figure out what you're trying to say.

There's also an excellent chance that your "improved" triangular wheel doesn't actually roll as smoothly as the more tradional round ones even if you become very fond of it.

1. What is Time Dilation at Zero Speed?

Time dilation at zero speed is a phenomenon in which time appears to move slower for an observer who is stationary or traveling at a constant velocity compared to an observer who is moving at a high speed. This is due to the theory of relativity, which states that time is not absolute and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity.

2. How does Time Dilation at Zero Speed occur?

Time dilation at zero speed occurs due to the concept of relative motion. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This means that as an observer's speed increases, time appears to slow down for them compared to an observer who is stationary or traveling at a lower speed.

3. What are the practical implications of Time Dilation at Zero Speed?

The practical implications of time dilation at zero speed are primarily seen in high-speed travel, such as space travel or particle accelerators. For example, astronauts who travel at high speeds experience time dilation, which means that they age slower compared to people on Earth. This can also affect the accuracy of clocks on satellites and spacecraft.

4. Is Time Dilation at Zero Speed a proven phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation at zero speed has been proven through numerous experiments and observations. The most famous example is the Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971, where atomic clocks were flown around the world in opposite directions, and their time difference was measured to confirm time dilation at zero speed.

5. Can Time Dilation at Zero Speed be reversed?

No, time dilation at zero speed cannot be reversed. This phenomenon is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity and is observed in all objects moving at high speeds. However, it is possible to counteract the effects of time dilation by slowing down the object's movement or by using gravitational time dilation, which occurs in the presence of strong gravitational fields.