How Does Time Dilation Affect Jill's Perception of Jack's Clocks?

In summary, the conversation discusses the example of time dilation and how it affects the synchronization of clocks between two frames of reference moving at different velocities. The main question is about what happens when Jill, on the moving frame, looks at Jack's clock on the stationary frame. The summary explains that from Jill's perspective, Jack's clocks are not synchronized and she sees his clock running slower due to time dilation. However, when she passes the second clock and synchronizes it with her own, she sees Jack's clock reading 10 seconds, which is a combination of the initial 3.6 seconds and the 6.4 seconds that have elapsed. The summary also mentions the use of the Lorentz transformation to calculate coordinates in different frames of
Dimani4
Hi guys,

I have a question to all of you. This question is based on the example which is located here: http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/time_dil.html
I understand it but there is one thing is still unclear to me. So, here it is:
Again we have Jill on the rocket and poor Jack on the ground. So let's look at the picture 1. Jack synchronized his 2 clocks C1 and C2. Afterwards Jacks walks to the second clock C2 to meet Jill. When Jill passing clock C1 (with constant velocity) she synchronizes her clock with Jack's clock C1. After she passes 18*10^8m clock C2 should show 10sec then Jack sees on C2 10sec but when he looks at Jill's clock he sees 8sec (10sec*0.8). My question is what happens what Jill sees when she's looking at the Jack's clock? For her the train of 2 clocks (red frame) moving in the left direction (picture 2) with velocity of 1.8*10^8m/s. For her the distance that clock C2 should pass is (18*10^8m*0.8). So her clock is showing the same time (as for the case when Jack is looking at the Jill's clock) [18*10^8m*0.8/1.8*10^8m/s=10sec] but when she's looking at the Jack's clock she should see time less than 10sec because for her this time Jack's moving then his clock should be 8sec*0.8. But as I understand this is not right because she also should see the same 10sec. Again for Jack's frame of reference: Jack's clock shows 10sec, Jill's clock as Jack sees is 8sec. For Jill's frame of reference: Her clock shows 8sec but Jack's clock shows... (what?)
clock moving1.jpg
Picture2 shows the final state as Jill sees when the clocks (train of clocks) moved left.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to understand is that from Jill's perspective, Jack's clocks are not synchronized. Jack has synchronized the two clocks, so in his frame the coordinates of the clocks at time t=0 in his frame are:
Jack: C1(x,t) = (0,0); C2(x,t) = (L,0)
If I apply the Lorentz transformation to these coordinates, I find that in Jill's frame, these two events are:
Jill: C1(x',t') = (0,0); C2(x',t') = (0.8L, 3.6)

So she would conclude (not to be confused with what she would see if she looked at clock C2 with a telescope as she passed C1) that Jack's clock C2 is already at 3.6s when she passes C1 and synchronizes her clock with C1. It takes her 8 seconds on her clock to reach C2, since she sees the distance between C1 and C2 contracted by the factor 1/γ. So her clock reads 8 seconds when she passes C2. She concludes Jack's clock is running slower by the same factor 1/γ, so only 6.4 seconds pass on Jack's clock between the time when she crosses C1 and the time when she crosses C2. So she sees Jack's clock read 10 seconds, the 3.6s it started with plus the 6.4s that have elapsed.

Last edited:
Likes Nugatory and Dimani4
phyzguy said:
What you need to understand is that from Jill's perspective, Jack's clocks are not synchronized. Jack has synchronized the two clocks, so in his frame the coordinates of the clocks at time t=0 in his frame are:
Jack: C1(x,t) = (0,0); C2(x,t) = (L,0)
If I apply the Lorentz transformation to these coordinates, I find that in Jill's frame, these two events are:
Jill: C1(x',t') = (0,0); C2(x',t') = (0.8L, 3.6)

So she would conclude (not to be confused with what she would see if she looked at clock C2 with a telescope as she passed C1) that Jack's clock C2 is already at 3.6s when she passes C1 and synchronizes her clock with C1. It takes her 8 seconds on her clock to reach C2, since she sees the distance between C1 and C2 contracted by the factor γ. So her clock reads 8 seconds when she passes C2. She concludes Jack's clock is running slower by the same factor γ, so only 6.4 seconds pass on Jack's clock between the time when she crosses C1 and the time when she crosses C2. So she sees Jack's clock read 10 seconds, the 3.6s it started with plus the 6.4s that have elapsed.

Thank you very much! Great explanation! You are Number One!

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to move slower for an object that is in motion relative to an observer. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been confirmed through experiments.

Can you provide an example of time dilation?

One example of time dilation is the famous "twin paradox". In this scenario, one twin stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they would have aged slower than the twin who stayed on Earth due to the effects of time dilation.

How does time dilation affect the measurement of time?

Time dilation means that time appears to move slower for a moving object, so the measurement of time would also be affected. For example, a clock on a spaceship moving at high speeds would appear to tick slower than a clock on Earth.

Is time dilation just a theory or has it been proven?

Time dilation has been proven through various experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment which involved precise atomic clocks on airplanes. The results of these experiments have shown that time dilation is a real phenomenon and not just a theory.

How does time dilation impact space travel?

Time dilation is a crucial factor in space travel as it can affect the accuracy of timekeeping and communication between astronauts and ground control. It also has implications for the aging of astronauts and their perception of time during long space missions.