Time Dilation and Biological Aging

In summary: This is not a contradiction, it's just a result of the fact that both frames are equally valid inertial frames, and time dilation is relative to the observer's frame. In summary, the "twin paradox" refers to the fact that when one twin travels at near-lightspeed, time dilation causes them to age slower compared to their twin on Earth. This is due to the fact that time dilation affects all of time, not just clocks, and is a result of the geometry of spacetime. The Lorentz transformation explains how this can occur in both frames, without contradiction.
microtech
Having read a whole lot of discussions about the "twin paradox" in this forum, I have a question that probably only serves to shine a bright light upon my ignorance...

Clocks running slower at near-lightspeed, OK. Sounds reasonable. I'll buy that.

But why does this mean that the space-travelling twin is also aging slower than is his Earth-bound brother? In what magical way does relativistic time dilation "slow down" biological metabolism?

Physics news on Phys.org
microtech said:
Having read a whole lot of discussions about the "twin paradox" in this forum, I have a question that probably only serves to shine a bright light upon my ignorance...

But why does this mean that the space-travelling twin is also aging slower than is his Earth-bound brother? In what magical way does relativistic time dilation "slow down" biological metabolism?

the same way it "slows down" clocks, and you bought that, so you should buy this too, it's on sale.

Anyway, you are discussing an interesting fact, but that fact is not the "paradox" part of the "twin paradox"...

microtech said:
There is no objective meaning to "near-lightspeed", your speed can only be measured relative to one inertial frame or another. There is some perfectly valid frame where we are moving at near-lightspeed right now.
microtech said:
Just as the traveling twin has no objective speed, he has no objective "rate of aging" at any particular moment, you can pick a frame where the Earth-twin is aging faster or a frame where the traveling twin is aging faster. There is an objective amount he'll have aged between any two events on his worldline, like the event of leaving Earth and the event of reuniting with the Earth-twin. In order for them to reunite one of them must change speeds to catch up with the other--usually we assume the traveling twin turns around and returns to Earth, but you could also imagine that Earth-twin accelerates away from Earth to a speed large enough to catch up with the original traveling twin--and in this case, whichever twin changes speeds will be the one who'll have aged less between the moment they originally departed and the moment they reunite. This can be thought of as a feature of the geometry of spacetime, in the same way it's a feature of the geometry of ordinary 2D space that if you draw two points on a piece of paper and draw two different paths between them, one of which has a constant slope in your coordinate system (meaning the path is a straight line) and one of which has a changing slope (meaning it's non-straight), the non-straight path always has a greater length than the straight one.

microtech said:

It would be much more magical if it only slowed down clocks.

You got only a portion of it. It's not just the clock that slows down. It's that all of time slows down when you travel at any speed for that matter (relative to something else). The faster you go, the slower time travels for you compared to a still observer.
If I was watching you in a spaceship traveling .90 speed of light from Earth, I would see you moving in slow-mo. If you looked out your window at me, you would see me in slow-mo on Earth. The difference is, you will be the one who accelerates back to Earth so you will be the one who has aged less then I.

PatPwnt said:
If I was watching you in a spaceship traveling .90 speed of light from Earth, I would see you moving in slow-mo. If you looked out your window at me, you would see me in slow-mo on Earth. The difference is, you will be the one who accelerates back to Earth so you will be the one who has aged less then I.

Slow-mo? I think you should check out the Lorentz tranformaton/contraction theory.

BosonJaw said:
Slow-mo? I think you should check out the Lorentz tranformaton/contraction theory.
Slow-mo is correct--the Lorentz transformation says that in each observer's inertial rest frame, any clock which is moving relative to that frame will be slowed down in that frame. So if you are moving at 0.99c relative to me, then in my rest frame you are moving in slow motion, while in your rest frame I am moving in slow motion.

1. What is time dilation and how does it relate to aging?

Time dilation is a concept in physics that refers to the difference in the passage of time between two observers, caused by their relative motion or gravitational fields. This means that time can pass at different rates for two individuals depending on their speed or proximity to massive objects. As a result, time dilation can affect the aging process, as individuals who experience time dilation may age at a different rate than those who do not.

2. How does Einstein's theory of relativity explain time dilation and aging?

Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, explains time dilation as a consequence of the constancy of the speed of light. According to this theory, the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This leads to the concept of time dilation, as an observer's perception of time is influenced by their relative motion, and therefore, their experience of aging may differ from other observers.

3. Can time dilation and aging be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation and aging can be observed in everyday life, but the effects are usually too small to notice. For example, astronauts who travel at high speeds experience a slight time dilation, causing them to age slightly slower than their counterparts on Earth. However, the difference in aging would only be noticeable after long periods of time and with very precise measurements.

4. How does gravitational time dilation affect aging?

Gravitational time dilation is a result of the warping of space-time by massive objects, such as planets or stars. The closer an observer is to a massive object, the stronger the gravitational pull and the slower time will pass for them. This means that someone on the surface of a planet will age slightly faster than someone in space, due to the difference in gravitational pull.

5. Can time dilation and aging be reversed?

In theory, time dilation and aging can be reversed, but it would require traveling at speeds close to the speed of light or being in the vicinity of extremely massive objects. This is because time dilation is a consequence of the laws of physics and cannot be reversed by human means. However, some scientists are studying ways to potentially manipulate time and space, but the technology and understanding of this concept are still in its early stages.