Understanding Time Dilation: Exploring Einstein's Theory with Basic Math

In summary, Einstein showed that time is not a dimension the same way as length, width, or height, but rather it is used to show movement within the three named dimensions. He used two light clocks, photons travelling between mirrors, in his ideal thought experiment. One clock stayed on Earth with the first twin, the other clock left Earth at the speed of light with the second twin. The Earth bound twin sees his brother’s clock as slowing down, not because of a change in time, but rather a change in the timing between the two clocks. The Earth bound twin sees the photons from his brothers clock first when the wave hits him
Motion is the change, more motion gives us time dilation and I do not believe the deeper we travel into gravity well gives us more motion, it gives us less, hence time contraction. It "looks" the same as time dilation but it is not, can we put it is a graph to compare it to time dilation, yes. I wrote it out as a proportional equation, (LC/TC<meter/second<LD/TD) if you think of light being a twist we see all the time, then for more motion we see objects as LC/TD and for less motion we feel and see them as LD/TC.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this view hold for a full range of numbers in our equation, well when we are talking about motion I think it does, the more motion away makes things appear to follow LC/TD things appear to contract getting smaller as they move away with little change to their time till their speed get high enough, what about the other side, as things get closer and their speeds slow to match ours they do appear to get larger LD/TC, and as their speed matches our Earth's their time does appear to contract the deeper they go into the gravity well.

petm1, this isn't the forum for you to be talking about your own personal theories (and your ideas seem too vague anyway--can you explain how 'length dilation' or 'time contraction' would be measured on actual physical rulers and clocks?). If you have questions about relativity that's fine, if you wish to construct your own alternatives you should submit to the Independent Research forum.

Well said, JesseM. And on that note, I think it's time to close this thread.