Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Dilation and speed

1. Apr 5, 2007 #1
    Since we are moving at high speeds relative to the universe only if we are assuming that the universe is not moving. Wouldn't humans or any species for that matter age differently depending on where you are at in the universe. If another planet is moving at half the speed of us their lifespan would be shorter as compared to a planet that is moving a high speeds relative to the universe. It would be nice to find a planet where we could all live for 500 years. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2007 #2

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

First of all - this should be in the relativity forums.
    And to answer your question, there are two points that i think need to be cleared up:
    1) Time dilation can't make a person live longer in the sense that he can do more in his life.
    2) Time dilation means that if you look at someone moving relative to you, you see his clock ticking at a different rate than yours. It has nothing to do with the enviroment.

4. Apr 5, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Put another way, time dilation is something you see when you compare your clock to someone else's. It doesn't show up on your clock alone. So you won't live any longer according to your perception.

5. Apr 5, 2007 #4
    assume for a second that your clock ticks slower compared to everybody else. that way you could probably witness much more events and, in effect, live longer.

6. Apr 5, 2007 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But this assumption is faulty. In SR, you only observe OTHER clocks being slower. So you are making an assumption that doesn't exist.

Zz.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  7. Apr 5, 2007 #6
    that does not matter, if we can't maximize benefits, we should minimize losses. that is, find ourselves the place where other clocks run as fast as possible (on average?). edit: I believe we are living in such a place already.

8. Apr 5, 2007 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm having difficulty understanding you comment, could perhaps clarify your point please.

9. Apr 5, 2007 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Unless you think you are in a "business" forum, your understanding of the "time dilation" is rather faulty. Somehow, you do not realize that ALL inertial reference frames see other inertial frames as being slower.

So yes, it DOES matter, especially you try to apply faulty principle.

Zz.

10. Apr 5, 2007 #9
    thanks for showing ad hominem at work. i am not going to discuss your claims about my understanding of whatever, but I would like to know how
    has anything to do with
    ?

for Hootenanny, if everything around you moves fast, its clocks tick slower (happy ZapperZ?) so you could expect larger time between events on your timometer than in case where everything around would move slower (which is the case on Earth). I do agree this topic is better suited for philosophy ("business" ?) forum.

11. Apr 5, 2007 #10
    To me, the word 'time' seems defined differently by different people for different circumstances. Most (physicists it seems) who use the word 'time' (in an 'applied' way of thinking) assume/know right away that it means 'measure of time'. I wonder if there would be less confusion to 'all' if 'time dilation' was written 'measured time dilation' ?

12. Apr 5, 2007 #11
    p.s.:
    so? is that illegal? if not for people trying to apply faulty principles, we wouldn't ever break out of euclidean geometry, and this very forum section wouldn't exist.

13. Apr 5, 2007 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An important point to make here is that you would observe its clock to tick slower, it wouldn't actually tick slower in its stationary reference frame. The same principle applies for relative velocities.

14. Apr 5, 2007 #13
    ...remember Morpheus from The Matrix? What is real? We live in our frames and what we see (*cough... measure) is exactly what's real. Why care what happens in their frames?

15. Apr 5, 2007 #14

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One crucial difference, non-elucidean geometry is not faulty, nor is any of Lobachevsky's reasoning. Yours however is faulty, or at the very least you are proposing a model which is contrary to currently accepted theory.

16. Apr 5, 2007 #15
    no difference. it is same "what if" reasoning.

17. Apr 5, 2007 #16

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your quoting a fictional character from a film in order to justify your argument?

#end of conversation#

18. Apr 5, 2007 #17
    well, the end is the end.

19. Apr 5, 2007 #18
    for sure, the time (like the "speed") is relative to a frame of reference, so pfmentor is right to say that for you, the time will tick the same, faster (or slower) than someone else, yes, no doubt, but for you, time will be the same...take for an analogy a computer CPU clock, if you reduce the clock (or overclock), you can make more instruction / sec than a regular computer, but you won't make and instruction to run faster than the required number of cycle it does need...so if an "INC" need 1 cycle of the clock, it will still need 1 cycle of the new clock.

20. Apr 5, 2007 #19
    and yet people overclock their CPUs, because it does make sense.

21. Apr 5, 2007 #20

Yes, but you are not the CPU, it does make sense for you (you are external of the CPU frame of reference)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?