Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Dilation between current vs massless universe

1. Jan 22, 2014 #1
    Disclaimer: I have no formal education in physics.

I watched a TedTalk http://www.tedxamsterdam.com/video-wubbo-ockels-on-time-and-gravity/ and it got me thinking. Dangerous, I know. As I understand both velocity and gravity have an effect on our perception of time. How much does our current universe affect our measurement of time, and is there a zero point?

The earth is rotating at ~1K mph around its axis
    We're zipping around the sun at ~67k mph
    Our position in the galaxy is rotating at ~ 671K mph
    And then were being pulled by "The great attractor" at 14M mph.
    If this wasn't enough we have the mass of earth, sun, galaxy, dark matter, etc... further causing distortion.

What would be the time dilation between a clock in a static near massless universe (save the clock and observer) and our current reference?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no massless universe to compare clocks with, but our clocks are a bit slower than clocks in big voids. The difference is roughly 1-2 parts in a million, or 24000 years since the Big Bang. Completely negligible.

Note that you have to be stationary with respect to the cosmic microwave background to have a meaningful definition of "age of the universe".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook