Time Dilation: Current vs Massless Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of velocity and gravity on our perception of time. The speaker also mentions the various factors that contribute to this distortion, such as the Earth's rotation, its orbit around the sun, and the pull of "The great attractor." They also question the time dilation between a clock in a static, near massless universe and our current reference. The response states that there is no massless universe to compare with, but clocks in big voids are slightly faster, with a difference of roughly 1-2 parts in a million since the Big Bang. This difference is considered negligible.
CzarBrent
Disclaimer: I have no formal education in physics.

I watched a TedTalk http://www.tedxamsterdam.com/video-wubbo-ockels-on-time-and-gravity/ and it got me thinking. Dangerous, I know. As I understand both velocity and gravity have an effect on our perception of time. How much does our current universe affect our measurement of time, and is there a zero point?

The Earth is rotating at ~1K mph around its axis
We're zipping around the sun at ~67k mph
Our position in the galaxy is rotating at ~ 671K mph
And then were being pulled by "The great attractor" at 14M mph.
If this wasn't enough we have the mass of earth, sun, galaxy, dark matter, etc... further causing distortion.

What would be the time dilation between a clock in a static near massless universe (save the clock and observer) and our current reference?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no massless universe to compare clocks with, but our clocks are a bit slower than clocks in big voids. The difference is roughly 1-2 parts in a million, or 24000 years since the Big Bang. Completely negligible.

Note that you have to be stationary with respect to the cosmic microwave background to have a meaningful definition of "age of the universe".

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for different observers. It occurs when an observer is in motion relative to another observer or when the observer is in a strong gravitational field.

2. How does time dilation affect the passage of time in a current universe?

In a current universe, time dilation occurs due to relative motion between two objects. As an object moves faster, time slows down for that object compared to a stationary observer. This effect is extremely small and can only be measured in highly precise experiments.

3. How does time dilation differ in a massless universe?

In a massless universe, time dilation still occurs due to relative motion, but it is much more extreme as there is no mass to slow down the movement of objects. This can have significant effects on the passage of time and the perception of time for observers in a massless universe.

4. Can time dilation be reversed?

No, time dilation is a fundamental aspect of the universe and cannot be reversed. Once time has passed at a different rate for an observer, it cannot be altered or reversed.

5. How does time dilation relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Time dilation is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time and space are not absolute, but are affected by the motion and gravity of objects. Time dilation is a direct result of this theory and has been proven through numerous experiments and observations.