Time Dilation Confusions - A Physics Newbie's Questions

In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of relative observation in physics, particularly in relation to the theory of relativity. The idea of absolute parameters and absolute quantities was discussed, with the conclusion that they do not depend on observers. The confusion about whether the speed of light would be slower for some observers was addressed, with the answer being no. The conversation also touched upon the concept of relativity of simultaneity and the importance of understanding the role of reference frames in measurements and observations."
Rene Manzano
Hello! I have some confusions about this topic, I'm a physics newbie so my question may have no sense, please have mercy ;). It's supossed that relativity only considers observation as valid "what we see", but observation it's independant of what we know (we can't tell how distant we are from different objects without previous information, we need another relative system for that). Does this mean that relative observation is bidimensional? If so, it would be impossible to calculate absolute parameters whithout changing the observation point? If so the speed of light would be actually slower for some observers right? This thought has got me really intrigued.

Physics news on Phys.org
What specifically are you referring to ? "It's supposed that relativity..." doesn't make that clear, is this a statement you found somewhere? A link would be helpful.

That in a relative system our observed parameters are different vs another relative system. For example, for observation we can only tell that the sun is a point moving on a plane, it's impossible for us to tell how far the sun is without absolute information.

Rene Manzano said:
Does this mean that relative observation is bidimensional? If so, it would be impossible to calculate absolute parameters whithout changing the observation point? If so the speed of light would be actually slower for some observers right?

I don't understand what you mean by "bidimensional" observation.
What are you observing?
Absolute quantities in Special Relativity are quantities that don't depend on a choice of reference frame. Let's make it classical at first. Are the components of a vector absolute in classical mechanics? They are not. If you make a rotation for example (go to a rotated frame), the components will in general get mixed up. What is an absolute quantity under this rotation then? It's the vector's magnitude. Both the initial and the rotated frame, will measure the same length for the vector.
In Special relativity the same thing also applied- you are mainly interested in "absolute quantities", except for if you are able to keep track of what is going on. The "absolute parameters" (at least as I interpret your word choice) don't depend on observers.
The speed of light (the group velocity of the wave) is the same for all observers (that's a postulate).

Likes Rene Manzano
Thanks for the answer, I'm sorry If I don't understand the correct words well because of my lack of knowledge, I'm triying to use words that can express my question (also my english is not very good :P). Yes with bidimensional observation I mean what an object is observing, I use that because most of examples that I've seen like the clock and the beam of light use relative observation. I get the point of the vector, when we rotate the absolute system stays the same as the relative, however we observe a complete diferent one.

I apologgies for my rookieness, its just that I'm relavitely new to physics and I'm very exited about learning. I realize now that as long as the relative system is not moving at some speed, the parameters (vectors) don't change, and observation means absolute measure within the relative system. Thanks again guys for your previous answers.

Rene Manzano said:
Hello! I have some confusions about this topic, I'm a physics newbie so my question may have no sense, please have mercy ;). It's supossed that relativity only considers observation as valid "what we see".[..] the speed of light would be actually slower for some observers right? [..]
I'm not sure what your confusion exactly is about; but as your starting point sounds wrong, perhaps that's the cause of your confusion!

When people loosely speak of "observed" in relativity, it should often not be taken literally.

What people usually mean with "observed" is what they infer from measurements with instruments. And those instruments (or their calculations) have been adjusted to the assumption that light and radio signals propagate at the same speed in all directions relatively to their chosen reference system. If they choose a different reference system then they will consequently adjust their instruments or their calculations; and next they will "observe" other values although nothing changed. For more detail, you can search this forum for "relativity of simultaneity".

Likes Rene Manzano
harrylin said:
I'm not sure what your confusion exactly is about; but as your starting point sounds wrong, perhaps that's the cause of your confusion!

When people loosely speak of "observed" in relativity, it should often not be taken literally.

What people usually mean with "observed" is what they infer from measurements with instruments. And those instruments (or their calculations) have been adjusted to the assumption that light and radio signals propagate at the same speed in all directions relatively to their chosen reference system. If they choose a different reference system then they will consequently adjust their instruments or their calculations; and next they will "observe" other values although nothing changed. For more detail, you can search this forum for "relativity of simultaneity".

Yes, that was exactly my confussion, so observation stands for instant measure of something that's happening within our frame. I will indeed serch for the "relativity of simultaneity" concept. Thanks for the answer!

Rene Manzano said:
Yes, that was exactly my confussion, so observation stands for instant measure of something that's happening within our frame. I will indeed serch for the "relativity of simultaneity" concept. Thanks for the answer!
You're welcome :smile:

However, when looking at those discussions I realize that they may be unclear or unhelpful as starting point (sorry!). It may be better to read first one of the basic explanations, for example here:
http://www.bartleby.com/173/9.html (also the next page is useful, as it illustrates that also length measurements depend on our choice of reference system).

Likes Rene Manzano
I think the crucial part of your original post was "If so the speed of light would be actually slower for some observers right?". The answer to that is NO! Indeed, all of the calculations of length contraction and time dilation are intended to make sure that the speed of light is the same for all observers.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects in different reference frames. This means that time can appear to move slower or faster for different observers, depending on their relative speeds and positions.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs due to the principles of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that as an object's speed increases, time for that object will appear to slow down for an outside observer.

3. What is the most well-known example of time dilation?

The most well-known example of time dilation is the Twin Paradox. This thought experiment involves one twin traveling at high speeds in a spaceship while the other remains on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they will have experienced less time than the twin who stayed on Earth, due to their relative speeds causing time dilation.

4. Does time dilation only occur with high speeds?

No, time dilation can occur with any relative speeds between objects. However, it becomes more significant at speeds approaching the speed of light. Even everyday objects experience a very small amount of time dilation due to their motion.

5. Can time dilation be observed in real life?

Yes, time dilation has been observed in many experiments and real-world scenarios. For example, the Global Positioning System (GPS) takes into account the time dilation of satellites in orbit around the Earth due to their high speeds, in order to accurately calculate location. Additionally, muons (a type of subatomic particle) have been observed to have a longer lifespan when traveling at high speeds, which is a result of time dilation.