Does that help?Cheers,Chris.Pendulum Clock Time Dilation

In summary, the light clock and wristwatch derivation of time dilation uses a simple pendulum clock, two mirrors, and a ray of light to calculate that the time on the clock is slowed down for someone moving away from the clock.
ehj
I have read the derivation of time dilation by using a lightclock, but I can't seem to find an argument that shows why the result applies for anything else but light clocks. Is there perhaps another derivation that can show the same result but perhaps show that it applies for everything and not just light clocks? I would prefer if it didn't require complex numbers or any hyperbolic trigonometry.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a "light clock"?
There is a simple standard derivation of time dilation from the Lorentz transformation equation.

ehj said:
I have read the derivation of time dilation by using a lightclock, but I can't seem to find an argument that shows why the result applies for anything else but light clocks. Is there perhaps another derivation that can show the same result but perhaps show that it applies for everything and not just light clocks? I would prefer if it didn't require complex numbers or any hyperbolic trigonometry.

Consider a lightclock [that you have just analyzed] together with a typical wristwatch... (keeping in mind the principle of relativity)...

pendulum clock

ehj said:

Hi ehj!

Imagine a pendulum clock, facing South, so the pendulum swings East-West, one swing per second.

Imagine two mirrors that the pendulum just touches, with a ray of light bouncing to and fro, East-West, between the mirrors, N times per second.

Now move away from the clock at speed v, due South.

Then you regard the distance between the mirrors as the same (for the same reason that a train moving at high speed along a straight track will still regard the width of the track and the width of the train as equal).

But the mirrors are now moving away from you with speed v, and so you say the light ray has to travel further, along a zigzag track.

Consider one triangle of that zigzag.

You say that the light still goes at speed c, along the diagonal (hypotenuse) of that triangle. And the long side of the triangle must be v/c times the diagonal.

So (from Pythagoras!) the short side is [tex]\sqrt{1\,-\,v^2/c^2}[/tex] times the diagonal.

So you say that the light travels (along the zigzag diagonals) [tex]\frac{N}{\sqrt{1\,-\,v^2/c^2}}[/tex] times the distance between the mirrors to go to and fro N times.

Which means that you say that the light takes [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1\,-\,v^2/c^2}}[/tex] longer to do it.

Which means that 1 second on the pendulum clock is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1\,-\,v^2/c^2}}[/tex] seconds for you! :smile:

(And we've used constancy of the speed of light, and nothing else.)

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects in motion relative to each other. This is due to the effects of special relativity, which states that time and space are relative and can be perceived differently depending on the observer's frame of reference.

What is the equation for time dilation?

The equation for time dilation is t' = t√(1 - (v^2/c^2)), where t' is the dilated time, t is the time in the stationary frame of reference, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light. This equation is derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity.

How is time dilation derived?

Time dilation is derived from the postulates of special relativity and the speed of light being constant in all inertial frames of reference. This leads to the Lorentz transformation equations, which can be used to derive the equation for time dilation.

What is the difference between time dilation and length contraction?

Time dilation and length contraction are two effects of special relativity that are closely related. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for objects in motion, while length contraction refers to the shortening of length for objects in motion. Both effects are a result of the relativity of time and space.

What are some real-world examples of time dilation?

One real-world example of time dilation is the difference in time between a clock on Earth and a clock on a spaceship traveling at high speeds. The clock on the spaceship will appear to run slower due to its high velocity. Another example is the time difference between GPS satellites in orbit and clocks on Earth, which must be accounted for in order to accurately calculate location and time on GPS devices.