1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dilation earth

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1
    I have calculated the clock rate difference between the surface of the sun and at the position of the earth’s orbit relative to the sun.

[tex]
    t_0 = t_f \sqrt {1 - \frac{{2GM}}{{rc^2 }}}
    [/tex]

I hope the LaTex equation above is displaying correctly. In the preview it is picking up some other equation.
    Should be t0=tf(sqrt(1-2GM/rc^2))

Mass of Sun 2x10^30 kg
    Radius of Sun 0.7x10^9m

Radius of earth’s orbit 1.5x10^11
    G = 6.67x10^-11 and c=3x10^8

I used the equation for gravitational time dilation and found that the sun lags the earth by approximately 180 ms per earth day.
    I ignored all velocity issues as I was only interested in GR issues. I haven’t used any properties of the earth except its distance from the sun.
    This is more of a sun question with a satellite at the distance of the earth.

The request that I have if somebody could independently do the calculation to corroborate my result (180 ms per earth day).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted