Time Dilation Effect on High-Speed Object Orbiting Massive Object

In summary, an object orbiting at high speed (natural ans stable orbit) will have a lessened time dilation effect relative to an object with a significant mass orbiting at a slower speed, while both will have a lessened time dilation effect relative to an object orbiting at a constant speed.
Pro7ech
I browsed a lot this forum to find an answer, but it always ends up in the same way : no constant answer.

I understand how time dilation relative to speed or to gravity separately work.

But what about an object orbiting at high speed (natural ans stable orbit) an other object with a significant mass?

How would those two effect would interact? How would you calculate the effect of time dilation, of an object moving in a gravity field, knowing the mass of the central object and the orbit radius?

I have seen a lot of different answers, some pull out equations combining both gravity and relative speed time dilation laws and other say there is no connection but without giving any answer or explaining why, some other say it is the same, but again without answering thr question.

Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pro7ech said:
I understand how time dilation relative to speed or to gravity separately work.
They can be calculated separately using some derived formulas. But the combined effect of both can also be obtained by integrating the proper time intervals in the appropriate space-time metric.

Special relativity says that all kinds of moving clocks are time dilated the same way.

For example if clock A has mass 1020kg and clock B has mass 0.1 kg, the masses can be ignored, when calculating kinetic time dilation, because there is no mass term in the time dilation formula of special relativity.

Google "GPS and relativity" and you should find an example with descriptions and calculations.

Thank you everyone, you all helped me a lot in my quest to conquering the world :))) I think it is time for me to get a pencil, a sheet of paper and a calculator!

1. What is time dilation effect on high-speed object orbiting massive object?

The time dilation effect on high-speed object orbiting massive object is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds in the vicinity of a massive object. This is due to the curvature of spacetime caused by the massive object, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. What causes time dilation effect?

The time dilation effect is caused by the warping of spacetime by massive objects. As an object moves closer to a massive object, it experiences a stronger gravitational pull, causing time to pass slower for that object compared to an object in a weaker gravitational field.

3. How does time dilation affect the orbit of a high-speed object?

Time dilation affects the orbit of a high-speed object by causing it to appear as though it is moving slower than it actually is. This is because time is passing slower for the object in the stronger gravitational field, making it appear as though it is moving at a slower rate to an observer outside of that gravitational field.

4. Can time dilation be observed in real life?

Yes, time dilation has been observed in real life through experiments and observations in space. For example, astronauts on the International Space Station experience a slightly slower passage of time due to their high speed and proximity to Earth's massive gravitational field.

5. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

In our daily lives, the effects of time dilation are extremely small and are not noticeable. However, systems such as GPS satellites have to take into account the time dilation effect in order to accurately calculate and synchronize time between the satellites and receivers on Earth.