Calculating Airplane Speed Using Time Dilation

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speed of an airplane traveling a distance of 3000 km as measured by a stationary observer and the pilot. The pilot measures the flight time to be Δt and the stationary observer measures the flight time to be Δt'. It is stated that Δt' is greater than Δt, and the task is to determine the speed of the airplane given that |Δt-Δt'|=4ns. The suggested method is to find an expression for Δt' in terms of v and 3000 km, and use this to solve for v. However, after several attempts, the solution of 240m/s cannot be obtained and the conversation ends with the hope for partial credit.
davesface
An airplane travels at a constant speed v for a distance of 3000km as measured by a stationary observer. The pilot measures the flight time to be [itex]\Delta t[/itex] and the stationary observer measures the flight time to be [itex]\Delta t'[/itex]. (Then I solved the first part of it, showing that [itex]\Delta t' > \Delta t[/itex].)

b. If [itex]\left|\Delta t-\Delta t' \right|[/itex]=4ns, determine the speed of the airplane.

Now, I have tried every combination of plugging equations into one another that I could think of, and I always end up with some horrifically complicated equation in which it's impossible to solve for v. Suggestions on how to proceed from [itex]\gamma\Delta t -\Delta t=4ns[/itex]

PS- The answer is 240m/s, but I cannot see at all how to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you state the whole problem as it is given, including part (a)? To check your work and help you out, we need to have all the information that you have.

a. Which time interval is longer? (As I said, I already showed that the t'>t)

So you know Δt in terms of γ. Is there another way you can calculate Δt by first finding an expression for Δt' in terms of v and 3000 km?

Well, I can use [itex]\Delta t=\frac{\Delta x}{v}[/itex] to say that [itex]\Delta t'=\gamma \frac{3,000,000}{v}[/itex], but then that leads to an equation with a v2 and a v term.

After 2 pages of fruitless attempts, I've decided to give up and hope for partial credit.

1. What is time dilation of airplane?

Time dilation of airplane is the phenomenon in which time appears to run slower for objects moving at high speeds, such as airplanes, compared to stationary objects. This is a concept in Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation of airplane occur?

Time dilation of airplane occurs due to the constant motion of the airplane at high speeds. As the airplane moves closer to the speed of light, time appears to slow down for the passengers inside the airplane.

3. What is the significance of time dilation of airplane?

The significance of time dilation of airplane is that it demonstrates the effects of relativity on objects moving at high speeds. It also has practical implications for GPS satellites, as they must account for the time dilation effect in order to accurately calculate location.

4. Does time dilation of airplane affect all passengers equally?

Yes, time dilation of airplane affects all passengers equally. This is because the speed of the airplane is constant for all passengers, and therefore the time dilation effect is the same for everyone on board.

5. Can time dilation of airplane be observed?

Yes, time dilation of airplane can be observed through experiments and calculations. For example, atomic clocks on airplanes have been found to run slightly slower than those on the ground, confirming the time dilation effect. However, the effect is very small and not noticeable in everyday situations.