Time dilation on a proton

• Thread starter -=Red=-
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Very quick question here thats bugging me.

I go to the LHC and send a proton around at 0.999999991c. After 5 seconds of that speed I stop it and take it out. Has the proton become younger or older, by x years, than when it was put in?

Thanks!!

Answers and Replies

After doing a little thought experiment I conclude that the proton sent around the accelerator would indeed be younger....not by much mind you, but still, younger......am I correct?

After doing a little thought experiment I conclude that the proton sent around the accelerator would indeed be younger..........am I correct?
Yes!.. Wait.. No! Not younger than when it entered the accelerator! But younger than the 5 seconds it would have aged if you had not put it into the accelerator. For example if the proton was y years older when you put it in, then when you take out it will be younger than (y years + 5 seconds) old, but older than y years.

Yes!.. Wait.. No! Not younger than when it entered the accelerator! But younger than the 5 seconds it would have aged if you had not put it into the accelerator. For example if the proton was y years older when you put it in, then when you take out it will be younger than (y years + 5 seconds) old, but older than y years.

YES! Thats exactly what I was getting at! Thanks so much!!!!