Time Dilation at Near Light Speed: Answers to a Thought Exercise

In summary: Relativistic Doppler Effect causes the red dots to move around more than the blue dots. This is because the ship's clock is running slower than the Earth's clock, which is due to the Time Dilation factor.
Hollygrove
I'm fairly new to the concepts provided by special and general relativity, and was wondering if someone could provide an answer to a thought exercise I came across regarding time dilation on an object going near light speed.

Say a spaceship were connected by a live video feed to a monitor on Earth, and the feed was being monitored at both ends.

The spaceship then accelerates to near light speed away from Earth, which in my understanding would slow the passage of time on board the ship in relation to time passing on Earth. So my question is what would the video show? Would time actually appear to be moving slower from a person on Earth's view of the video feed, would it appear to be moving faster from someone onboard the ship? Or have I misunderstood the concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both the shipboard observer and the earthbound observer will report that the other clock running slow. The situation is symmetrical, as each observer will consider themselves to be at rest while the other one is moving.

To analyze this situation correctly you need to allow for the travel time of the video signals, and a carefully drawn spacetime diagram is a big help.

Hollygrove said:
I'm fairly new to the concepts provided by special and general relativity, and was wondering if someone could provide an answer to a thought exercise I came across regarding time dilation on an object going near light speed.

Say a spaceship were connected by a live video feed to a monitor on Earth, and the feed was being monitored at both ends.

The spaceship then accelerates to near light speed away from Earth, which in my understanding would slow the passage of time on board the ship in relation to time passing on Earth. So my question is what would the video show? Would time actually appear to be moving slower from a person on Earth's view of the video feed, would it appear to be moving faster from someone onboard the ship? Or have I misunderstood the concept?
First of all, welcome to Physicsforums! :-)

The main effect will be in first instance the Doppler effect: as the distance between the Earth and the spaceship increases faster and faster, images of each other's clocks take increasingly more time to reach the other - in other words, clocks appearing on each other's video feeds will increasingly lag behind.
The effect of "time dilation" comes only in addition to this basic Doppler effect; thus it appears as a correction to what you would expect to see based on classical physics.

Hollygrove said:

The spaceship then accelerates to near light speed away from Earth, which in my understanding would slow the passage of time on board the ship in relation to time passing on Earth.
Actually, a better, more precise, way of saying this is that it would slow the passage of time on board the moving ship according to the Inertial Reference Frame (IRF) in which the Earth is at rest. Saying it the way you said it is what led you to the false conclusion that the passage of time on Earth will be faster than time passing on the moving ship.

This slowing of time for an object moving according to an IRF is what is called Time Dilation. So in the IRF in which the Earth is at rest, it does not experience Time Dilation, only the ship does because only the ship is moving (after it leaves Earth).

Hollygrove said:
So my question is what would the video show?
It doesn't show Time Dilation. Rather it shows the Relativistic Doppler Effect. Let me give you an example. Let's suppose that the ship leaves the Earth at 60% of the speed of light. The Time Dilation factor at that speed is 1.25 which means that the clock on the ship will take longer to tick out each second than the Coordinate Time of Earth's rest IRF. But the Relativistic Doppler factor at that speed is 2 which means it takes twice as long for the Earth to see a particular amount of time passing on the ship through the video feed.

Here's a spacetime diagram for Earth's IRF showing the Earth as the thick blue line and the ship as the thick red line. The dots mark off one-second intervals of time for each of them. The thin lines represent one-second intervals of the video feed, red for the video sent from the ship and blue for the video sent from the Earth:

TDnearLS1.PNG

As you can see, the blue dots are aligned with the Coordinate Time of the diagram because the Earth is not moving in this IRF but the red dots are spaced 1.25 times the Coordinate Time.

Hollygrove said:
Would time actually appear to be moving slower from a person on Earth's view of the video feed, would it appear to be moving faster from someone onboard the ship? Or have I misunderstood the concept?
Yes, you have misunderstood the concept. As I stated earlier, you have incorrectly concluded that if Earth sees time going slower on the ship then the ship must see time going faster on Earth.

But if you look at the diagram, you can also see that it takes twice as long, two seconds according to the dots, for each of them to receive each second of the video feed from the other one. So even though only the ship is Time Dilated in this IRF, they both see the same Relativistic Doppler Effect of the other one. In other words, they cannot see the Time Dilation, they can only see the Relativistic Doppler Effect.

To emphasize this point, I'm going to use the Lorentz Transformation process on the coordinates of each of the events (dots) in the above diagram to see what things look like in the IRF in which the ship is at rest after the Earth and ship separate:

TDnearLS2.PNG

As you can see, the Relativistic Doppler Effect remains the same as in the first diagram, that is, they each see the others time taking twice as long as their own even though it is the Earth that is now Time Dilated according to this IRF.

We could also transform to other IRF's and they would all show the same Relativistic Doppler Effect even though the Time Dilation of each object can be different. Just remember that Time Dilation is dependent on the speed of an object according to an IRF so since speeds are different in different IRF's, so are Time Dilations but they all show the same observations of each observer.

Does this all make perfect sense to you now? Any questions?

Last edited:
Likes Hollygrove
Thank you for the replies, especially ghwellsjr, it was very thorough. I'll have a look through at the relativisticdoppler effect so that I have a better understanding, but the scenario is much clearer now.

What is time dilation at near light speed?

Time dilation at near light speed is a phenomenon in which time appears to slow down for an object as it approaches the speed of light. This is due to the fact that space and time are interconnected, and as an object moves faster through space, time has to "stretch" in order to maintain a constant speed of light.

How does time dilation at near light speed occur?

Time dilation at near light speed occurs because of the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. As an object moves closer to the speed of light, it experiences a "time dilation factor" which causes time to slow down for that object relative to an observer at rest.

What are the effects of time dilation at near light speed?

The effects of time dilation at near light speed are significant, especially when approaching the speed of light. For example, a person traveling at 99% of the speed of light would experience time passing at only 14% of the rate of someone at rest. This means that if they traveled for one year, they would only age 0.14 years.

Is time dilation at near light speed a proven phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation at near light speed has been proven through various experiments and observations. One of the most well-known examples is the Hafele-Keating experiment, in which atomic clocks were flown around the world in opposite directions at high speeds, and were found to have a small but measurable difference in their time readings.

Can time dilation at near light speed be reversed?

No, time dilation at near light speed cannot be reversed. This is because it is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity and is a result of the laws of physics. The only way to reverse time dilation would be to completely stop an object's motion, which is not possible at speeds approaching the speed of light.