How Fast Must a Rocket Travel to Witness Two Events 2400 km Apart?

In summary: This is why we always use the time dilation formula to find the time interval as experienced by the moving observer.In summary, to be present at both the firecracker events in Houston, Texas and Great Falls, Montana, a rocket ship would need to travel at a speed of 1.8 x 10^8 m/s. According to the time dilation formula, the time interval perceived by the pilot would be 0.0209 seconds. However, when using the formula correctly, it is found that the actual time interval experienced by the pilot would be 0.00848 seconds, which aligns with what is expected based on the concept of time dilation.
Laxman2974
A firecracker goes off in Houston, Texas. A time 0.0133 seconds later as measured by synchronized Earth clocks, another firecracker goes off in Great Falls, Montana 2400 km away as measured on earth.

a. How fast must a rocket ship travel if it is to be present at both events?

b. What will the rocket ship pilot measure to be the time interval between the two events?

Relevant equations: t = to / (1- v^2 / c^2)

to calculate the speed needed by the ship to be in both places I used:

s = d/t = 2400000 m / .0133 s = 1.8 x 10^8 m/s

I use this speed for part b to get the time perceived by the pilot

t = .0133 s / (1 - (180451127.8 ^2 / 299792458 ^2)
t = .0209s

I thought time would seem slower to the pilot, what did I do wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help here? Does this look correct or am I off base with the equation that I am using?

Laxman2974 said:
I thought time would seem slower to the pilot, what did I do wrong here?
You are using the time dilation formula backwards. In that formula, 'to' is the time interval according to a single moving clock and 't' is the time interval as measured in the other frame. In this problem, the single moving clock is in the rocket ship.

(Note that according to the rocket ship, the two Earth clocks are not synchronized. So you can't treat the 0.0133 seconds as a time interval recorded by a single Earth clock. According to the rocket ship each Earth clock does not record 0.0133 seconds as passing during his flight--in fact they record much less.)

Thanks - so the value of t is the Earth clock and I am solving for to.

I get a value of .00848 seconds. This value makes more sense from what I have read.

Laxman2974 said:
This value makes more sense from what I have read.
Right. As you know, according to Earth observers the rocket ship clock runs slow--thus it must show a smaller time interval.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an observer who is moving at high speeds or in a strong gravitational field, compared to an observer who is at rest. This is a key concept in Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation work?

Time dilation occurs because of the curvature of space and time, as described by Einstein's theory of general relativity. The faster an object moves or the stronger the gravitational field it is in, the slower time will appear to pass for that object.

3. What is the difference between time dilation and time travel?

Time dilation and time travel are related concepts, but they are not the same thing. Time dilation refers to the perceived difference in the passage of time between two observers, while time travel refers to the ability to physically travel to different points in time.

4. How is time dilation measured?

The effects of time dilation can be measured through experiments and observations using precise clocks. For example, a clock placed on a fast-moving object will show a different time compared to a clock on a stationary object. Similarly, clocks in different gravitational fields will show different times.

5. Is time dilation a real phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation is a well-established phenomenon that has been observed and confirmed through various experiments and observations. It is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and proven to accurately describe the behavior of the universe.