1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Dilation question

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1

The record for the fastest speed at which anyone has ever traveled, relative to the Earth, is held by the Apollo X modue at 24,791 mi/h on their return trip from the moon.
    At this speed, what is the percent difference between the clocks on the Apollo and the clocks on Earth?

OK, I think I understand how to do the problem, but I'm not getting the answer that our text gives.

I set the moving IRF as the Apollo and the stationary frame as the Earth.
    I then found the time elapsed in the frame of the spaceship by using d=vt and the given velocity and the distance from the earth to the moon.

d(Earth to Moon)=3.84x10^8 m

With no time dilation for the ship, the time elapsed then is:
    from d=vt: tApollo=t'=3.84x10^8 m/11082.3m/s = 34649.85 s

I then found the time dilation for the time elapsed in Earth's reference frame using Lorentz tranformation:

gives an elapsed time in Earth' IRF of 346449.85s

and 346449.85s/34649.85s = 9.985%

The correct answer is 6.82x10^-8 s

Could someone help me figure out where I went wrong? I went over the math a few times, so it must be my logic...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

I don't have a calculator handy, but something went wrong in that square root calc. Did you note that the spacecraft speed is in mph, so in the same units c = 186000*3600 ?

Doubtless that square root is well within 1% of 1.
  4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    Yeah, I actually converted the velocity to m/s I just skipped the conversion work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?