1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dilation

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    spaceship 3 meters wide, v= 2c/3. (a.) calculate ships time, (b) sq. root factor, (c) earth's time, (d) ships displacement, (e) lights displacement, and (f) which clock "runs slow"

2. Relevant equations
    a. Ts=(3m)/c
    b. square root 1-v^2/c^2
    c. earth's time = answer a/b (it tells me to use the two formulas actually, i figured this is equivalent)
    d. ships displacement =vt
    e. lights displacement= ct
    f. which clock runs slow

3. The attempt at a solution
    all of the formula have been given to me, i just wanna make sure my answers are right.
    a. 3m/3.00X10^8 m/s= 1X10^-8 s
    b. sq. root 1-2X10^8= -1.9999999X10^8
    c. t= -5X10^-17-----should this be a magnitude????
    d. 2c/3*-5X10^-17= -1X10^-8 meters
    e. ct= (3.00X10^8 m/s)(-5X10^-17) =-1.5X10^-8
    g. i think i remember from the lecture that the earth clock runs slow because of the displacement, it seems like it takes longer.

like i said, i just wanna see if my work is right. i have a feeling c is wrong, because time shouldnt be negative. im pretty sure the formulas are right because my teacher gave them in the book.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your problem statement is a bit vaque to say the least. What times are you talking about? Is 3m is the rest length of the ship?

4. Dec 11, 2006 #3
    I honestly don't know. Everything I was given I put in the problem word for word. But it's ok anyways, I took my final today and this problem wasn't on there, but it is kind of annoying that I can't figure it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?