1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dilation

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1
    I was reading about time dilation and say if we have an inertial S that moves with velocity v in the x-direction with respect to an inertial frame S'. In S' we shoot a light towards a mirror and measure the time from when the original flash takes place to when it returns to it's origin giving us [tex]\Delta[/tex]t'=2D/c. They said that since an observer in inertial frame S would measure these events to take longer than they do in S' that an observer in S can conclude that time passes more slowly in S'. Is this correct? When i think about it, if it took 7 seconds in S and 5 secs in S' then wouldn't time run "slow" in S since it took longer for the same event to take place than it did in S'? Clarification needed, thanks.

-Pat

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2
    From the point of view of the observer S all physical processes in the laboratory S' proceed slower than identical processes in his own laboratory (S). So, observer S may think that "time runs slower" in the moving laboratory S'. I think, this is a bad abuse of language.

Eugene.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?