Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Dilation

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1
    Based on time dilation from special relativity, will we be able to utilise the effects, thereby granting us tremendous abilities? Will we be able to move out of the realm of science fiction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you are getting at, but there isn't really anything science fictiony about time dilation. Technologically, time dilation is a little bit of an annoyance, but not much more than that.

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What "tremendous abilities" did you have in mind?

5. Jul 4, 2008 #4

clem

Science Advisor

No................

6. Jul 4, 2008 #5
    I don't know, like perhaps, running incredibly fast relative to others?

7. Jul 4, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you would already have to be moving incredibly fast to have the time dilation, they wouldn't notice!

If you were moving at, say .9c in a space ship, relative to some other person, and could look at each other, while you are walking along your space ship, they walking along their frame, they would see you walking slowly because your time has "dilated" relative to them and you would see them moving at .9c relative to you and would see them walking slowly for exactly the same reason.

8. Jul 4, 2008 #7
    So there is nothing to be gained from learning about time dilation and the Lorentz contraction, except the accumulation of knowledge of them?

9. Jul 4, 2008 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure how you would get that from what was said. The concepts are extremely important for devices that require precise time calculations or speed calculations, for example (like GPS satellites). It's just that that isn't what I'd call a "tremendous ability".

10. Jul 5, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"How do I make a buck off it?"

11. Jul 5, 2008 #10
    Oh yeah. I forgot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?