Calculating Time Dilation for Earth Signals at 0.600c

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper time and relativity of simultaneity when considering a person on a rocket moving away from Earth at 0.600c receiving laser signals from a person on Earth at 6 minute intervals. The formula used is Δt=Δto/sqrt((1-u2/c2)) where u = 0.600c. The two possible answers obtained are 4.8 min and 7.5 min, with the person on Earth having a clock that shows 6 minutes and the person on the rocket having a clock that shows either 4.8 or 7.5 minutes. The concept of proper time is discussed and it is determined that the proper time is not tied to a
overtak3n
Missing template due to being posted in other forum originally.
A person on Earth signals with a laser beam at 6 minute intervals. Another person on a rocket moving away from Earth at 0.600c detects the signals. At what time intervals does the person on the rocket receive the signals from the Earth.

The formula we use is:

Δt=Δto/sqrt((1-u2/c2))

u = 0.600c

I obtained two possible answers: 4.8 min and 7.5 min. However, I'm struggling to figure out which is the proper time and therefore cannot decide which answer is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which do you think is correct? Also, is it really the time when the signal is received?

I think 4.8 min is correct. Am I right?

And why do you think that? What is your reasoning? If you just give us your final answer, it is impossible to see where you go wrong/right and correct it.

The time in the rocket moves slower and I treat that as the proper time because it's the rocket that's moving. This resulted in 4.8 min.

overtak3n said:
The time in the rocket moves slower and I treat that as the proper time because it's the rocket that's moving. This resulted in 4.8 min.

You have to beware here and not simply try to apply formulae if you do not understand their meaning. First, select a reference frame in which to describe the events. Then think about what time the events occur at and what time this corresponds to for the rocket.

Likes Noctisdark
I'm a little confused. Instead of intervals I thought of a clock. When the person on Earth has a clock that shows 6 minutes, the person on the rocket has a clock that shows 4.8 minutes.

overtak3n said:
I'm a little confused. Instead of intervals I thought of a clock. When the person on Earth has a clock that shows 6 minutes, the person on the rocket has a clock that shows 4.8 minutes.

This is true in the Earth's rest frame. In the rocket rest frame, the rocket has a clock which shows 7.5 minutes when the Earth clock shows 6 minutes. This is the very essence of the relativity of simultaneity. What you have to ask yourself is "does either of these times represent the time you seek?"

Orodruin said:
This is true in the Earth's rest frame. In the rocket rest frame, the rocket has a clock which shows 7.5 minutes when the Earth clock shows 6 minutes. This is the very essence of the relativity of simultaneity. What you have to ask yourself is "does either of these times represent the time you seek?"

In the rocket rest frame, the proper time is 6 minutes? Is there an easy definition or trick for proper time that will help me apply it correctly next time? It's now my understanding that the proper time is in the moving frame that moves with respect to the rest frame that we use. So if the rocket is the rest frame, the Earth is the moving frame with respect to the rocket.

Proper time is the time experienced along a world line between two events, events are defined in time and space and proper time therefore is not tied to a particular frame. I suggest you try to answer this question:
Orodruin said:
does either of these times represent the time you seek?

I appreciate all the help.
The question is kind of difficult for me to answer. I'm not quite sure what it's asking. Which time are we seeking in the question in the OP?

If there was a clock on the Earth and one on a spaceship, and the question was "What would a person on the spaceship read on his clock?" Would the spaceship clock represent the proper time?
Suppose we reversed the question: "What would a person on the Earth read on his clock?" Would the Earth clock represent the proper time in this case?

overtak3n said:
If there was a clock on the Earth and one on a spaceship, and the question was "What would a person on the spaceship read on his clock?" Would the spaceship clock represent the proper time?

Yes, but to find the time you need to compute the time of the correct event. The question is "what time does the rocket read when the light reaches the rocket?" Is this the question you are answering?

Orodruin said:
Yes, but to find the time you need to compute the time of the correct event. The question is "what time does the rocket read when the light reaches the rocket?" Is this the question you are answering?

Is this suggesting that there is a delay for the light to reach the rocket because it's traveling?

overtak3n said:
Is this suggesting that there is a delay for the light to reach the rocket because it's traveling?
Yes.

Okay. Thank you. I'll think about this.

1. What is time dilation Earth signal?

Time dilation Earth signal refers to the phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object moving at high speeds relative to another object in a different frame of reference. This effect is predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity and has been observed in various experiments.

2. How does time dilation Earth signal occur?

Time dilation Earth signal occurs due to the fact that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. As an object approaches the speed of light, its perception of time slows down, relative to an observer in a different frame of reference. This effect is also influenced by the gravitational field of the object.

3. What are some examples of time dilation Earth signal?

One famous example of time dilation Earth signal is the twin paradox, in which one twin travels into space at high speeds while the other stays on Earth. Upon their reunion, the traveling twin would have aged less due to the effects of time dilation. Another example is the Global Positioning System (GPS), which must account for time dilation in order to function accurately.

4. Can time dilation Earth signal be observed on Earth?

Yes, time dilation Earth signal can be observed on Earth. It is a subtle effect, but it has been observed in experiments involving atomic clocks. These clocks, when placed at different heights in a gravitational field, have been found to tick at slightly different rates due to the effects of time dilation.

5. How does time dilation Earth signal impact our daily lives?

While time dilation Earth signal may seem like a concept that only applies to extreme situations, it actually has a significant impact on our daily lives. Without accounting for this effect, GPS navigation would be inaccurate, and our understanding of space and time would be incomplete. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the formation of celestial bodies.