Understanding Time Dilation: Explained in Simple Terms for Physics Enthusiasts

In summary, the speaker, a 17-year-old interested in physics, admits to not having a strong understanding of calculus and failing a math test. Despite this, they are still confident in their math skills. They also mention being banned from a forum and ask for help understanding time dilation. They express a desire to study physics in college and provide a resource for further reading.
QuantumTheory
Hello I'm 17 and interested in physics. I don't really know that much calculus, as I can barely factor. I failed the math test AIMS, to make a long story short, because I didn't take the right classes.

I am good in math though.

I am going through hard times right now, as I recently got banned from a forum I spent 6 hours+ a day on, the coin forum at Collectors Universe. I was a good member there for over a year. I hope someone can PM me and help me on this.

My question is this, actual I have a few questions:
Can someone explain time dilation in simple terms?
I understand that time dilation is the slowing of time of any system in motino relative to an outside observer. I've learned that this principal is true at any speed, walking or running, but is almost negligable at any speed except very close to the speed of light.

I hope to study physics in colleage.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Try reading this:
http://physics.syr.edu/courses/modules/LIGHTCONE/LightClock/
And then come back if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and expressing your interest in physics. Time dilation is definitely a very interesting and complex concept, but I'll do my best to explain it in simple terms for you.

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for different observers, depending on their relative speeds. This means that if you and I are moving at different speeds, we will experience time differently.

The reason for this is because of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative speeds. This means that if you're moving at a constant speed, your perception of time will be the same, but if you're accelerating or moving at a very high speed, time will appear to slow down for you compared to someone who is not moving at that speed.

This is because as you move faster, your body and everything around you experiences a change in the way time and space are experienced. This can be seen as a stretching or warping of time and space, which is why it's called time dilation.

To put it simply, time dilation is the difference in the passage of time for objects or systems that are moving at different speeds. It's a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe.

I hope this helps to give you a better understanding of time dilation. Keep pursuing your interest in physics and don't let setbacks like failing a math test discourage you. With hard work and dedication, you can achieve anything you set your mind to. Best of luck to you!

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for different observers. It occurs when an object is moving at high speeds or in a strong gravitational field.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs due to the principles of special and general relativity. According to these theories, time and space are not absolute and can be affected by factors such as motion and gravity.

3. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life. For example, GPS satellites have to account for time dilation due to their high speeds in orbit, otherwise, their navigation systems would be inaccurate. Additionally, astronauts in space experience time dilation due to their high speeds and proximity to massive objects.

4. How does time dilation affect the aging process?

Time dilation can affect the aging process by causing time to pass slower for objects in motion or in strong gravitational fields. This means that objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields will age slower compared to objects at rest.

5. Is time dilation a proven concept?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through numerous experiments and observations, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971. The effects of time dilation have also been incorporated into many theories and equations used in modern physics.