Time, discrete or Continuous?

In summary, the conversation discussed whether time is discrete or continuous, with the conclusion that it is still unknown. The definition of continuous and discrete variables was also explained, leading to the idea that all supposedly continuous variables may actually be discrete. This concept was then applied to time and its potential effects, including on the acceleration of light and the possibility of parallel universes. However, it was noted that these are just personal ideas and not copied from external sources. The conversation concluded with a recommendation to learn basic calculus, as these concepts have been resolved for centuries.
strongstring
Whether or not time is discrete or continuous is unknown, and is a key idea answer that many physicists are looking for. This topi is for discussing the factors that effects whether or not ime is continuous, and effects it might have.

Before i talk about whether or not time is discrete or continuous, i would also like to start with explaining the definitions of continuous and discrete variables, with a surprising outcome.

When one thinks about the nature of time, and whther or not it is continuous or discrete, it is only natural to compare discrete and continuous variables with others that we know of, such as integers and decimals. However, when one thinks about the meaning of a continuous variable, which is not done very often, a potentially surprising outcome is found. A continuous variable is a variable that can be infinitely big or small, it has no limitations. However, a continuous varibal must start some where, otherwise it is nothing! By thinking about this notion deeper, we realize that aklthough continuous variables are not limited by how big or small they start as, they are in fact restricted by numbers themselves! What i mean is this, no matter how small or big a continuous variable starts as, no matter how small of a number it goes up by, it is always, always going up by something! It is therefore restricted by the confounds of actual numbers! Does this mean that all supposedly continuous variables are in fact discrete variables?

The application of this notion towrds time is easy, and helps reinforce the understanding of this notion. If time is discrete then it is easy to picture time having a negligible unit that it uses to tick forward in its neverending pattern. However, if time is contimuous, it still must travel in a unit, after all, how would time get anywhere if it wen 0 forwards all the time?

This idea is logical, and i think is a good contribution to times pattern. From now i will be looking at the effects that this has, and how it even manages to solve two more problems which are the acceleration of light (and other objects) and how it manages to allow other worlds with opposite times to cross.

The acceleration of light has always been a confusing debate, does light take time to get up to its optimum speed (3x10to the power 8 m/s in a vacuum), or is it emmitted at that speed instantly, does it even take time to emit the light. (I have just realized the emit backwards is time). Well, first of all, is time is discrete, then there is no such thing as an instannt, everything takes time!. Therefore, the accelleration of light always takes time, just one unit of the unimaginaly small units that time comes in.

The idea of aceleration and its connection with time also has other effects as well. It has always bothered me, when something accellerates it goes from 0m/s to n m/s in an amount of time. But there must be an instant when from 0 m/s it goes to the smallest amount of speed there is, instantly, but by referring to the discreteness of time, there again is no instant! It has to take time! But if it did not take time to get to this small amount of speed, the the acceleration would be... n/0 = infinity! Infinite acceleration! (The same applies for light).

Whether or not there are other worlds out there is perhaps an unsolveable question, we will never know. But perhaps there are parrallel universes, in the smape position as ours, but at a different time! Maybe, time goes faster or slower in other worlds than in ours? What would the effects be if two worlds were to cross paths, catastrophic? or nothing? Perhaps the abscence of matter in parts of our universre are simply filled with matter from other universes that fill these gaps with their matter as they cross our paths continuously, but we have no idea! Or maybe if time is continuousst then mathematically the point in which it passes us would last for 0 tmie, no effect!. But if it is discrete and the universe passes through our point in time where Earth is... chaos? Or maybe the time is so short that we feel no effects, after all, nothing travels faster than the speeed of light!

To summarise, the effects of time having a small unit which it uses to tick forwards are immense and lead on to lots of other topics.

Thank You,
William Evans

Please note, this is simply ideas that i myself ihave had, and not copied off sites, contrary to many e-mails that i have recieved...

Physics news on Phys.org
strongstring said:
A continuous variable is a variable that can be infinitely big or small, it has no limitations. However, a continuous varibal must start some where, otherwise it is nothing! By thinking about this notion deeper, we realize that aklthough continuous variables are not limited by how big or small they start as, they are in fact restricted by numbers themselves! What i mean is this, no matter how small or big a continuous variable starts as, no matter how small of a number it goes up by, it is always, always going up by something! It is therefore restricted by the confounds of actual numbers! Does this mean that all supposedly continuous variables are in fact discrete variables?

The application of this notion towrds time is easy, and helps reinforce the understanding of this notion. If time is discrete then it is easy to picture time having a negligible unit that it uses to tick forward in its neverending pattern. However, if time is contimuous, it still must travel in a unit, after all, how would time get anywhere if it wen 0 forwards all the time?
I recommend that you learn some basic calculus. This stuff has been resolved for centuries. You are literally several hundred years behind the times. Please read up on the concepts of infinitesimal and of limits.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the concept of time and whether it is discrete or continuous. This is a topic that has been debated for centuries and continues to be a subject of interest for many physicists and philosophers.

I must point out that currently, there is no definitive answer to whether time is discrete or continuous. It is a concept that is still being explored and studied. However, the points you have raised about the effects of time being discrete or continuous are intriguing and worth considering.

The idea of time having a smallest unit that it uses to tick forward is an interesting concept. This could potentially explain the acceleration of light and other objects, as well as the possibility of parallel universes. It also raises questions about the nature of time itself and how it operates.

However, it is important to note that these are still theories and have not been proven. As scientists, we must base our conclusions on empirical evidence and rigorous testing. It is possible that in the future, we may have a better understanding of time and whether it is discrete or continuous.

In the meantime, it is important to continue exploring and discussing these ideas, as they can lead to new insights and discoveries. Thank you for bringing up this thought-provoking topic and contributing to the ongoing conversation about the nature of time.

1. What is the difference between discrete and continuous time?

Discrete time refers to a system that progresses in a series of distinct, separate steps, while continuous time refers to a system that progresses smoothly and without interruption.

2. How is time measured in discrete systems?

In discrete systems, time is measured in discrete units, such as seconds, minutes, or hours. These units are fixed and do not change, and the system can only take on values at specific time intervals.

3. What are some examples of discrete time systems?

Some examples of discrete time systems include a digital clock, a computer program that runs in a series of steps, and a video game that progresses in levels.

4. How is time measured in continuous systems?

In continuous systems, time is measured on a continuous scale, such as milliseconds, seconds, or years. The system can take on values at any point in time, and time is considered to be infinitely divisible.

5. What are some examples of continuous time systems?

Some examples of continuous time systems include a swinging pendulum, the movement of planets in orbit, and the growth of a plant over time.