Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Time- Displacement diagram

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1

majormuss

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Guys I urgently need help with this question I hfound online. I cannot paste it here because it has all these diagrams which cannot be copied. Could you please just follow the link and tell how best to figure out the question( its the question number 36) The one about the diagrams.
    http://www.nysedregents.org/Physics/20050127exam.pdf [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess was the number '3' but it seems am wrong. how can I simply deduce the answer?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2

Oddbio

Gold Member

If you have taken a calculus class then you can easily see the answer by realizing that the velocity graph should be the derivative of the displacement graph.

But in either case, first look at the displacement graph, and think about it's slope. A straight line has a constant slope right?
    A velocity graph that matches the displacement graph should basically be a "graph of the slope" of the displacement graph. Because "velocity" is the rate of change of the position.

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3
    From the graph, the answer should be 2. It can be understood as the Brownian motion.

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4

Oddbio

Gold Member

Are you looking at the same problem Hahong?

He was asking about number 36, which is the velocity and displacement graphs.
    The answer is (1) btw...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook