Measuring Gravity Wave Time Distortion Accuracy

In summary, gravitational waves have a time distortion, but it is observer and coordinate dependent and it is currently not possible to measure it to any degree of accuracy.
Ratman101
TL;DR Summary
Has/Can gravity wave time distortions be measured to any degree of accuracy as does LISA measures space distortions? If not, why not?
Has/Can gravity wave time distortions be measured to any degree of accuracy as does LISA measures space distortions? If not, why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitational waves are spacetime distortions. How the space/time split of spacetime is made is largely a question of convention. The signal you see in an experiment is not.

Could you please explain a little more detail. If I wanted to measure the time distortion, how much distortion does the theory predict and is this measurable with existing capabilities?

Ratman101 said:
If I wanted to measure the time distortion...
It's spacetime that's being distorted by the gravitational wave; there is no separate "time distortion" and "space distortion". The experimental fact is that the relative phase of the two laser beams changes as the wave passes through. We can explain this experimental fact by saying that the distances covered by the beams change slightly as the wave passes through, or that the amount of time that passed for the two beams is slightly different, or as a combination of those effects. All such explanations are equivalent - they're just different words wrapped around the same distortion of spacetime.

As a (dangerously simplistic) analogy: I draw a horizontal line one centimeter long on a piece of paper. I then draw ordinary Cartesian x-y axes (the same things you used in first-year algebra class) on the sheet of paper in the ordinary way with the x-axis horizontal, and then announce that my line extends one centimeter in the x direction and zero centimeters in the y direction. You grab the pencil and draw a new set of xy axes at a 45 angle to mine and then point out that using your axes the line extends ##\sqrt{2}/2## centimeters in the x direction but also ##\sqrt{2}/2## centimeters in the y direction. But of course it's the same line; we've just chosen different but equally arbitrary ways of dividing it into x and y components. The spacetime distortion the LIGO people measured is analogous to the length of the line; how much of that is space distortion and how much is time distortion is just a matter of how we draw our space and time axes.

(Note that I did say that this analogy is dangerously simplistic. The mathematical object that describes distortion of spacetime is more complicated than a one-centimeter line and the geometry of curved spacetime is more complicated than the flat two-dimensional surface of a sheet of paper)

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, phinds and Ibix
Ratman101 said:
Summary: Has/Can gravity wave time distortions be measured to any degree of accuracy as does LISA measures space distortions? If not, why not?

To talk about the time distortion of gravitational waves, we'd need to be able to separate time from space. This is essentially observer dependent in both special and general relativity. So we'd need more specifics to answer the question.

My main concerns would be threefold, one is that the concept of "time distortion" is observer and coordinate dependent, so it depends on the details of how we separate time from space.

The second concern I have is that we share a common notion of "time distortion". The later point is particularly problematic, in that I rather suspect we do not share a common definition of the somehwhat ambigious and popularized term "time distortion". Unfortunately, if we're not sharing a common definition, then any exact answer will be misleading.

The third concern is that it's been long enough that I might be making an error here.

I *think* it's possible to choose coordinates (harmonic coordinates) so that what I'd call the time distortions would vanish. What I mean by "no time distortion" is that proper time of the harmonic observers is equal to the coordinate time for said observers. Unfortunately, I could be mis-remebering something. The other two points still apply - that we share a common definition of the problem, and that the remarks only apply to one particular coordinate system, which is convenient for calculations but is most likely not the one that one would intuitively pick. The fact that one can make it vanish by the correct coordinate choices is interesting, but that doesn't mean that it necessarily always vanishes.

pervect said:
I *think* it's possible to choose coordinates (harmonic coordinates) so that what I'd call the time distortions would vanish. What I mean by "no time distortion" is that proper time of the harmonic observers is equal to the coordinate time for said observers.

AFAIK the standard coordinates in which, for example, LIGO is analyzed meet this requirement. In these coordinates, the observed interference fringes at the detector when a gravitational wave passes are entirely explained by "space distortion".

Likes Ibix and vanhees71

1. What is gravity wave time distortion accuracy?

Gravity wave time distortion accuracy refers to the precision with which a measurement device can detect and record changes in the fabric of space-time caused by the presence of gravitational waves.

2. How is gravity wave time distortion accuracy measured?

Gravity wave time distortion accuracy is typically measured by comparing the predicted arrival times of gravitational waves at different points in space with the actual arrival times recorded by a measurement device. This comparison allows scientists to assess the accuracy of the device in detecting and measuring gravitational waves.

3. What factors can affect gravity wave time distortion accuracy?

There are several factors that can affect gravity wave time distortion accuracy, including the sensitivity and precision of the measurement device, the distance between the source of the gravitational waves and the device, and any external factors that may introduce noise or interference into the measurement.

4. Why is gravity wave time distortion accuracy important?

Gravity wave time distortion accuracy is important because it allows scientists to accurately detect and measure gravitational waves, which can provide valuable insights into the nature of the universe and help us better understand phenomena such as black holes, neutron stars, and the origins of the universe.

5. How can scientists improve gravity wave time distortion accuracy?

Scientists can improve gravity wave time distortion accuracy by developing more sensitive and precise measurement devices, reducing external sources of noise and interference, and conducting multiple measurements and comparisons to increase the overall accuracy of the results.