Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Distortion due to Mass

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    Hi There,

I was doing so research and thought some of you guys may be able to help. Say I have a friend who is 18 days younger than I am. We both go to Egypt to visit the great pyramid of Giza. since the pyramid weighs 3,600,000 tons it has a high enough mass to slightly slow time around it. Say I stand one metre from the pyramid and my younger friend stands 1000 metres away, how much would time be slowed down for me relative to them and out of interest how long in theory would we have to stand there before my younger friend became older than me?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm going to guess... such a small amount that it is immeasurable. Also remember that both of you are standing on the earth, an MUCH greater source of gravity, which also includes the pyramid.
  4. Sep 26, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

The gravitational time dilation factor is approximately given by Delta(phi)/c^2, where phi is the Newtonian gravitational potential. For the numbers you gave, this factor is on the order of 10^-12, so you would need to stand there for longer than the age of the universe to catch up with your younger friend.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook