1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Time Equation Help Needed

1. Dec 16, 2009 #1
    Hi All - I am trying to find an equation that gives the time as a function of initial velocity, distance traveled, and specified acceleration. That is, t = some function of v(0), d, and a.

We ran a simulation problem for distances 25 and 50 meters and my times were - 4.099 and 6.141 respectively for initial velocity of 2.00 and inital acceleration of 2.00. i can't come up with any equations that fit my data. any input please?????

Thank you!
    Ashley

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Dec 17, 2009 #3
    So would it be:
    t=SQRT(2s-v(o)/a

s=distance
    v(o)=inital velocity

I've tried this but it doesn't give me the exact anser - is it ok to round up or down? Initally I found final velocity and then plugged it in but the challenge is to use one equation. Input?

Thank you!

5. Dec 17, 2009 #4

Doc Al

The starting equation would be:
    s = v0t + 1/2at2

To find t you'll need to solve the quadratic.

6. Dec 17, 2009 #5
    Thank you for this tip. I am not very "up" on my physics - this is my first introduction to it on a college level. What are the rules for solving for the quadratic? Does that involve derivitives? Thank you!

7. Dec 17, 2009 #6

Doc Al

No need for calculus, just the 'quadratic formula'. (Google it!)

Note that I am assuming that your setup is one where the acceleration is constant. (You didn't actually state that.)

8. Dec 17, 2009 #7

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook