Does a Time-Dependent Vector Rotate Around a Fixed Vector?

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, time-evolution of a vector involves the change of a vector's magnitude and direction over time, described by differential equations. It differs from regular vector operations as it takes into account the vector's change over a period of time. Differential equations play a crucial role in understanding this concept. Time-evolution of a vector can be applied to real-world phenomena and is commonly used in scientific research to analyze system behavior and make predictions.
Niles
Hi all

Say I have a time-dependent vector v. Let's say that I find

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\br{v} = \br{q}\times v \perp \br{v},
[/tex]

where q is a vector. Am I allowed to conclude that the vector v rotates around q as time evolves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I realized it now. It becomes clear when you make a drawing that the vector v really does rotate (precess) around q as time evolves.

Thanks.

1. What is the concept of time-evolution of a vector?

Time-evolution of a vector refers to the change in magnitude and direction of a vector over time. This can be represented mathematically using differential equations and describes how a vector quantity, such as velocity, changes over time.

2. How is time-evolution of a vector different from regular vector operations?

Regular vector operations, such as addition and multiplication, involve manipulating vectors at a specific moment in time. Time-evolution, on the other hand, takes into account the change in the vector over a period of time.

3. What is the role of differential equations in understanding time-evolution of a vector?

Differential equations are used to describe the rate of change of a vector over time. They provide a mathematical model for understanding how a vector evolves over time and are essential in studying the dynamics of systems.

4. Can time-evolution of a vector be applied to real-world phenomena?

Yes, time-evolution of a vector is commonly used in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to study the behavior of systems over time. It can be applied to phenomena such as motion, population growth, and chemical reactions.

5. How can understanding time-evolution of a vector be useful in scientific research?

Understanding time-evolution of a vector allows scientists to make predictions and analyze the behavior of systems over time. It also helps in identifying patterns and trends, as well as in developing mathematical models for complex systems.