1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time evolution of Expectation

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2
    Are you asking about how quantum mechanical expectation values evolve with time? If so, then it evolves according to the differential equation

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}<{\psi}|O|{\psi}> = \frac{i}{\hbar}<{\psi}|[H,O]|{\psi}> + <{\psi}|\frac{{\partial}O}{{\partial}t}|{\psi}>[/tex]

With O being a Hermitian operator.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  4. Sep 28, 2010 #3
    i don't know what happened to my original post, but I am having an issue with the following problem:

Show that:

\frac{d}{dt}<x^2> =\frac{1}{m}(< xp_x> +<p_xx>)

for a three dimensional wave packet.

relevant equations:

Ehrenfest Theorem:(1)
    [tex]i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}<O>=<[O,H]>+i\hbar<\frac{\partial }{\partial t}O>[/tex]

where O is an operator
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*O\psi[/tex]

I tried using both ways illustrated above and I arrived at the same answer:

[tex]\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[\bigtriangledown ^2(x^2\psi)-x^2\bigtriangledown ^2\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[\frac{\partial }{\partial x}
    (x^2\psi'+2x\psi)-x^2\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[
    2\psi+2x\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\psi+2x\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\psi+(x^2-x^2)\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{m}\int_{V}d^3r[\psi ^*(-i\hbar)\psi+\psi^*x(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})\psi+\psi^*(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})x\psi][/tex]

Am I doing anything wrong? Where does the extra term come from, and does it mean anything?
  5. Sep 28, 2010 #4
    nvm, I got it:

=\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[\frac{\partial }{\partial x}
    (x^2\psi'+2x\psi)-x^2\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi]

[tex]=\frac{-i\hbar}{2m}\int_{V}d^3r\psi ^*[x^2\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi+2x\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\psi+2\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(x\psi)-x^2\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{m}\int_{V}d^3r[\psi^*x(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})\psi+\psi^*(-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial x})x\psi][/tex]

I went wrong thinking I could just rearrange the derivatives.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook