1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time evolution of temperature help

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    First year astronomy question, goes as follows:

"A closely exact description of the cooling described above is to consider the differential equation which says that rate of charge of thermal energy equals the rate of radiative
    output. That is:

[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\left(3MkT\right)}{m_p} = -4*pi*R²*T^4[/tex] -eqtn1

where M, R are constant. Show that the resulting time evolution of the temperature is then given by:

--- = ---------------
    T(0) ``` (1+3t/t_cool)^(1/3)

(kept getting problems in my latex for that part, so i just typed it out..., i'd like to get this question sorted before i have to go to math)

anyway, its also said that:

t_cool = -----------

everything has its usual meaning, sigma is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, k is the Boltzmann constant.

i'm not really that sure what to do, I tried rearranging eqtn one after taking dT/dt out, "multiplying" each side by dt then integrating. after that, i'm really not much closer to the point. any guides on where to go appreciated. thanks.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see the problem. This equation is separable:

[tex]\frac{dT}{T^4}=\frac{-4\pi m_pR^2\sigma}{3Mk}dt[/tex]
  4. Apr 12, 2005 #3
    yeah i see that, i've tried to take it some steps further but i'm getting in a bit of a mess. could you try the next step or two, not sure what it is i'm having the problem with.
  5. Apr 12, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]\frac{1}{3}(T_0^{-3}-T^{-3})=\frac{-4\pi m_pR^2\sigma t}{3Mk}[/tex]

[tex]T^{-3}=T_0^{-3}+\frac{4\pi m_pR^2\sigma t}{Mk}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{T_0^3}{T^3}=1+\frac{4\pi m_pR^2T_0^3\sigma t}{Mk}[/tex]

That help?
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  6. Apr 12, 2005 #5
    very much so. thanks. glad to lay that to rest
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?