1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Evolution of Wave Function

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    I'm getting bogged down in what is probably a very basic subject and it's holding me back. I'm not really sure how to determine the wave function [itex]\psi[/itex](x,t) given a function [itex]\psi[/itex](x,t=0); and since this is pretty much the under-pinning of every homework problem I've seen so far it's a huge issue for me. Can anyone explain, at least generally, how I get from one to the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The Schrodinger equation tells you how the state evolves over time. Your textbook should cover this.

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    The book does, but I'm coming up short with applying it beyond the limited example in the text.

So I understand (at least intellectually) for a particle in an infinite square well (between say 0 and a) I find the normalization constant and then the nth coefficient via integration from 0 to a. How do I go from this simple situation to the more general free particle of mass m? Is it simply a matter of adjusting my limits of integration?

(I promise, I'm not trying to get something for nothing with this question)

5. Sep 12, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sorry, it's not clear at all to me what your question is. Could you please elaborate?

6. Sep 12, 2011 #5
    Sorry, my own lack of clarity isn't helping...

The general solution can be found as a superposition of eigenfunctions

[itex]\psi[/itex](x,t)=[itex]\sum[/itex]cn[itex]\psi[/itex]ne-i/[itex]\hbar[/itex]Et

how do I apply this to a given situation? If I start with [itex]\psi[/itex](x,0)=ei/h px , I should arrive at [itex]\psi[/itex](x,t)=ei/h (px-p2/2m t)

how did I get from point a to point b?

7. Sep 12, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The Hamiltonian for a free particle is [itex]\hat{H}=\hat{p}^2/2m[/itex]. Apply it to [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex], which is an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{H}[/itex], to find E.

8. Sep 13, 2011 #7
    Hmm, I agree with your explanation of Time Evolution of a Wave Function. I feel that any other explanation would be Shallow and Pedantic. Are you refering to a partical in a square well?

9. Sep 13, 2011 #8
    You are already there. If the time-independent Hamiltonian is [itex]H(\hat{p},\hat{x})[/itex] and its eigenstates are [itex]\varphi_n[/itex] with energy [itex]E_n[/itex]. Then each will evolve in time by only acquiring a phase factor related to its energy [itex]\varphi_n \to \varphi_n e^{-it E_n}[/itex].

So suppose you state start out at [itex]t=0[/itex] as some linear superposition of [itex]\varphi_n[/itex]: [itex]\psi (0) = \sum_{n} c_n(0) \varphi_n[/itex], at time t later. Each of the states evolves independently: [itex] \psi(t) = \sum_{n} c_n(0) e^{-i t E_{n}} \varphi_n[/itex]. Or another way of stating this, the coefficients of linear superposition change like this [itex]c_n(0) \to c_n (0) e^{-i E_n t}[/itex]

The job is therefore to expand any general initial state into linear combination of energy eigenstates of the Hamiltonian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook