Time Evolution of Wave Function

In summary, you need to find the Hamiltonian for a free particle and expand the initial state into a linear combination of energy eigenstates.
atomicpedals
I'm getting bogged down in what is probably a very basic subject and it's holding me back. I'm not really sure how to determine the wave function [itex]\psi[/itex](x,t) given a function [itex]\psi[/itex](x,t=0); and since this is pretty much the under-pinning of every homework problem I've seen so far it's a huge issue for me. Can anyone explain, at least generally, how I get from one to the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Schrodinger equation tells you how the state evolves over time. Your textbook should cover this.

The book does, but I'm coming up short with applying it beyond the limited example in the text.

So I understand (at least intellectually) for a particle in an infinite square well (between say 0 and a) I find the normalization constant and then the nth coefficient via integration from 0 to a. How do I go from this simple situation to the more general free particle of mass m? Is it simply a matter of adjusting my limits of integration?

(I promise, I'm not trying to get something for nothing with this question)

Sorry, it's not clear at all to me what your question is. Could you please elaborate?

Sorry, my own lack of clarity isn't helping...

The general solution can be found as a superposition of eigenfunctions

[itex]\psi[/itex](x,t)=[itex]\sum[/itex]cn[itex]\psi[/itex]ne-i/[itex]\hbar[/itex]Et

how do I apply this to a given situation? If I start with [itex]\psi[/itex](x,0)=ei/h px , I should arrive at [itex]\psi[/itex](x,t)=ei/h (px-p2/2m t)

how did I get from point a to point b?

The Hamiltonian for a free particle is [itex]\hat{H}=\hat{p}^2/2m[/itex]. Apply it to [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex], which is an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{H}[/itex], to find E.

Hmm, I agree with your explanation of Time Evolution of a Wave Function. I feel that any other explanation would be Shallow and Pedantic. Are you referring to a particle in a square well?

atomicpedals said:
Sorry, my own lack of clarity isn't helping...

The general solution can be found as a superposition of eigenfunctions

[itex]\psi[/itex](x,t)=[itex]\sum[/itex]cn[itex]\psi[/itex]ne-i/[itex]\hbar[/itex]Et

how do I apply this to a given situation? If I start with [itex]\psi[/itex](x,0)=ei/h px , I should arrive at [itex]\psi[/itex](x,t)=ei/h (px-p2/2m t)

how did I get from point a to point b?

You are already there. If the time-independent Hamiltonian is [itex]H(\hat{p},\hat{x})[/itex] and its eigenstates are [itex]\varphi_n[/itex] with energy [itex]E_n[/itex]. Then each will evolve in time by only acquiring a phase factor related to its energy [itex]\varphi_n \to \varphi_n e^{-it E_n}[/itex].

So suppose you state start out at [itex]t=0[/itex] as some linear superposition of [itex]\varphi_n[/itex]: [itex]\psi (0) = \sum_{n} c_n(0) \varphi_n[/itex], at time t later. Each of the states evolves independently: [itex] \psi(t) = \sum_{n} c_n(0) e^{-i t E_{n}} \varphi_n[/itex]. Or another way of stating this, the coefficients of linear superposition change like this [itex]c_n(0) \to c_n (0) e^{-i E_n t}[/itex]

The job is therefore to expand any general initial state into linear combination of energy eigenstates of the Hamiltonian.

1. What is the "time evolution of wave function"?

The time evolution of wave function is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes how a quantum system changes over time. It is represented by the Schrödinger equation, which shows how the wave function of a quantum system evolves according to the Hamiltonian operator. This evolution is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

2. How does the time evolution of wave function differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the state of a system at a given time can be determined by knowing its initial conditions and applying Newton's laws of motion. However, in quantum mechanics, the time evolution of a system is described by the wave function, which is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding the system in a particular state. This means that the behavior of quantum systems cannot be predicted with certainty, unlike classical systems.

3. What factors affect the time evolution of wave function?

The time evolution of wave function is determined by the Hamiltonian operator, which takes into account the potential energy and kinetic energy of a system. Additionally, external forces or interactions with other systems can also influence the time evolution of a wave function. The initial conditions of a system and the properties of the particles involved also play a role.

4. How is the time evolution of wave function measured?

The time evolution of wave function cannot be directly measured, as it is a mathematical concept. However, the effects of this evolution can be observed through experiments and measurements of physical quantities. For example, the probability of finding a particle in a certain position at a given time can be measured and compared to theoretical predictions.

5. Can the time evolution of wave function be reversed?

No, according to the laws of quantum mechanics, the time evolution of a wave function is irreversible. This means that once a system has evolved to a different state, it cannot return to its original state. This is known as the arrow of time, and it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that distinguishes it from classical mechanics.