1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time for a DC electric field to penetrate copper

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the differential equation for a resistive medium [itex]\frac{\delta^{2}E}{\delta x^2}=\frac{\mu_o}{\eta}\frac{\delta E}{\delta t}[/itex]
    estimate the time for a dc electric field to penetrate fully into a copper slab 2cm thick.

2. Relevant equations/ information
    The electric field can be zero by the time it reaches the end of the copper to minimally satisfy the time requirement, so E(0.02)=0 and [itex]\frac{\delta E}{\delta x}=\frac{-E_o}{0.02}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm at a loss here. The diffusion equation relates the change in the change of the magnitude of the electric field in space to the change in the electric field in time, but I'm not sure what to do with this. My instinct was to plug in a value for [itex]\frac{\delta^{2}E}{\delta x^2}[/itex] then integrate and solve for t, but I am not sure what value I should substitute.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted