1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time for a photons arrival

1. Jun 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The metric for trajectories along radial lines passing through observers on
    Earth in comoving coordinates is
    [tex]ds^2 = −c^2dt^2 + a(t)^2dr^2[/tex].
    At time [tex]t_0[/tex], now, a galaxy comoving with the expansion that is not currently
    observable here on Earth is receding from us at a recession velocity of [tex]v_p[/tex].

(a) In terms of [tex]v_p[/tex], the Hubble constant [tex]H_0[/tex] and the present value of the scale factor [/tex]a(t_0)[/tex], what are the current proper distance [tex]dp[/tex] and comoving distance r to the object?

(b) Consider a Universe where the time rate of change of the scale factor is
    a constant. Show that the value of the scale factor at time t is given by
    [tex]a(t) = a(t_0)(1 + H_0(t − t_0))[/tex].

(c) The source emits a photon directed towards us. Show that the time [tex]\tau[/tex] for
    the photon to travel here from the source is given by
    [tex]\tau = \frac{1}{H_0}(e^{\frac{v_p}{c}} - 1).[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've got parts a and b done. For a,
    [tex]d_p = \frac{v_p}{H_0}[/tex] and [tex]r = \frac{a(t_0)v_p}{H_0}[/tex]

and I can show whats asked of me in part b by integrating. However I am completely stumped by part c of the question.

I've started it by saying that for a photon, [tex]ds = 0[/tex] so that it can be said that
    [tex]c\frac{dt}{a(t)} = dr[/tex], but then I got lost.

I tried substituting in for [tex]a(t)[/tex] and got three separate integrals that can be done, two of them being constants (and so just giving me first order powers of t) and the other giving me [tex]ln(t)[/tex], but after substituting the limits in (I assume these would be 0 and [tex]\tau[/tex] I don't know what to do with the ln0 that I get. And I have the linear powers of t to worry about.

If anyone could walk me through the steps I would appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2008 #2
    I totally forgot how to integrate and how to split up fractions. I think I have it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?