1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Time for a Projectile - Please Help

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1
    Time for a Projectile - Please Help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have traveled to a distant planet named Goolack and brought along a large cannon. You set the cannon on a high cliff on Goolack and you fire a cannonball horizontally off the cliff into a methane ocean. The cannonball follows a projectile motion until it splashes into the methane. Which of the following factors will determine the time that the cannonball is in flight? Goolack is too small to hold an atmosphere and therefore you can ignore atmospheric ("air") resistance.

true/ false
    the mass of the cannon ball
    the initial velocity of cannonball
    the density of the cannon ball.
    Goolack's acceleration of gravity
    the height of the cliff on Goolack
    the radius of the cannon ball

2. Relevant equations

H=v(0y)*t-1/2gt^2 i think?

3. The attempt at a solution

i think that it only depends on the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the cliff, but i am really not sure

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2
    Re: Time for a Projectile - Please Help!!

Please help! This is due really soon!

4. Sep 11, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper

Re: Time for a Projectile - Please Help!!

Your formula is valid if you take the place where the cannon is fired as y=0 and H, the height of the ocean negative.
    You fire the cannon ball horizontally, so what is the value of voy?

Look at the formula. What would you need to know to get the time of flight? Are other quantities which do not appear relevant?

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook