Time for an experiment. Are you up for it?

In summary, a person can tolerate cold or hot liquids in their mouth, but cannot enjoy food that is cold.
tribdog
Okay, I need everyone to go get an ice cube. It needs to be small enough that you can chew it up. Put the ice cube in your mouth, chew it up just enough so you can swallow it. Now time how long it takes the coldness to get to your stomach. It takes seven seconds on me. I would have thought I swallowed a lot faster than that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I can do this!

When I swallow something really cold like ice or a slurpee (especially a slurpee), I get this horrible feeling in my chest, like my esophagus constricts. It's not painful, really, but it's really uncomfortable.

Does anyone else get this?

I only picked ice because it is easy to feel it all the way down. maybe you can tell with cold water, or hot water, or potato chips or pudding or kiwi fruit.

OK, so using cold water, I lose track about mid-chest level. But if I extrapolate the water's path and speed, I would estimate 8 - 10 seconds.

wow, I had always assumed that stuff just fell into my stomach when I swallowed.
now do it standing on your head

I can tollerate niether hot nor cold in mouth, i can only enjoy food that is warm.

nobody asked you to enjoy it. this is for science

An ice cube small enough to chew it?

My friend, my ice is pretty hard. It takes longer than 10 seconds to swallow it I bet.

Do not chew ice, it is bad for your teeth. :grumpy:

Disclaimer: Anything tribdog suggests is potentially harmfull to your health. Follow tribdog at your own risk.

You need more control on your experiment. If you have a large enough piece of ice, when you swallow it, it can become lodged in your throat until it melts a bit. Hence it would take longer to get to the stomach than a smaller piece would.

wolram said:
I can tollerate niether hot nor cold in mouth, i can only enjoy food that is warm.

This is quite strange.

You can stop your experiments, someone already beat you to it. Not with ice cubes, but with puree of barium (don't try that at home).

Last edited by a moderator:
did you read the comments on that video? there are some strange people in this world

1. What kind of experiment are we doing?

We will be conducting a controlled experiment to test a specific hypothesis or research question.

2. How will the experiment be carried out?

The experiment will involve manipulating independent variables and observing their effects on dependent variables. This may involve conducting surveys, collecting data, or performing experiments in a controlled environment.

3. What materials will be needed for the experiment?

The materials needed will depend on the specific experiment being conducted. Some common materials used in experiments include lab equipment, measuring tools, and various substances or samples.

4. How long will the experiment take?

The duration of the experiment will vary depending on the complexity of the research question and the amount of data that needs to be collected. Some experiments may take a few hours, while others may take several weeks or even months.

5. What are the potential risks or ethical considerations associated with the experiment?

As scientists, it is our responsibility to conduct experiments ethically and with a focus on participant safety. Before beginning the experiment, we will carefully consider any potential risks and take necessary precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of all involved.