What would happen to time if all movement were parallel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of time and how it is intertwined with space in Einstein's theory of gravity. It questions the existence of true parallel motion in space time and the concept of time itself. One viewpoint is that time is an abstract concept and it would be more accurate to talk about "clocks" instead. However, the other perspective argues that time exists wherever there is change or action, regardless of the availability of "clocks." The conversation also poses the question of what other measurements would have tangible reality if not time.
Loren Booda
If all movement were parallel, how might that change the nature of time?

Space news on Phys.org
Space time

Einstein's theory of gravity requires that time is an integral part of space time which is 4 dimensional. True parallel motion probably does not exist in space time. Your question seems to imply a separate universe different than space time.

One question would be what "time" actually is. A time scale seems to be a measurement tool created by observers using selected "clocks" (uniformly repeating events) to measure other events by. Using that definition, I would argue that "time" is an abstract concept that has no actual reality and we should be talking about "clocks" instead. (I know this is not the majority view of what time is).

I would argue that where ever change or action of any kind exists (i.e., a change in space exists), then the concept of time exists, whether or not there are any good "clocks" available to measure time by.

I'm not sure if that addresses your question though.

What measurement (displacement, spin, mass, etc.) would have actual reality if not time?

1. What is "time" in a linear universe?

"Time" is a measurement of the duration of events and the intervals between them in a linear universe. It is a fundamental aspect of our experience and understanding of the world around us.

2. Is time linear or cyclical in a linear universe?

In a linear universe, time is considered to be linear, meaning it moves in a straight line from the past to the present to the future. This is in contrast to cyclical time, where events are believed to repeat themselves in a continuous loop.

3. How does time flow in a linear universe?

In a linear universe, time is believed to flow in a constant and uniform direction, from the past to the future. This is often referred to as the "arrow of time" and is associated with the concept of entropy, or the measure of disorder in a system.

4. Can time be reversed in a linear universe?

In theory, time can be reversed in a linear universe if the laws of physics are reversed. However, in our current understanding of the universe, time only moves in one direction and cannot be reversed.

5. How is time measured in a linear universe?

In a linear universe, time is measured using various units such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, years, etc. These units are based on the Earth's rotation and revolution around the sun, but other systems of time measurement can also be used.