Time to Acceleration: Convert Milliseconds?

In summary, the person is asking about converting time from milliseconds to seconds in the experimental formula for acceleration and whether a line of best fit or a parabola should be used on a distance-time graph for accelerated motion. The expert explains that a conversion factor would need to be used if the acceleration is in meters per second squared and the time is in milliseconds, and that a parabola can only be used if the acceleration is constant. Otherwise, a mathematical expression for position over time would need to be derived.
doc.madani
hello just a quick question, in the experiemental formula for acceleration (2xr/t^2) if the time was in milli seconds e.g 0.00.67 seconds, before u substitute the value in the formula would u need to convert that time to 1 second, by timing everything by 1000 then diving the values by 6.7 to find the acceleration for that 1 second? (m/s ^ -2)

thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
and another question in a distance vs tme graph would i need to use a line of best fit or can i use a parabola, because the speed is obviously accelerating

doc.madani said:
hello just a quick question, in the experiemental formula for acceleration (2xr/t^2) if the time was in milli seconds e.g 0.00.67 seconds, before u substitute the value in the formula would u need to convert that time to 1 second, by timing everything by 1000 then diving the values by 6.7 to find the acceleration for that 1 second? (m/s ^ -2)
Where did you get that formula from? Because it doesn't seem to be correct.

But anyway, if you had a correct formula for acceleration, and you had time in milliseconds, and you had acceleration in meters per second squared, then yes you would have to use a conversion factor from milliseconds to seconds. But if you had time in milliseconds and acceleration in meters per millisecond squared, you would not have to use a conversion factor.

In a distance-time graph, accelerated motion looks like a parabola, not a line. So you could not use a best-fit line.

doc.madani said:
and another question in a distance vs tme graph would i need to use a line of best fit or can i use a parabola, because the speed is obviously accelerating

I don't understand what you mean by line of best fit. You can use a parabola only if the acceleration is constant. Otherwise, you will need to find a mathematical expression for x(t) using the known form of the acceleration and integrating twice. Here it seems that the acceleration is not constant so ...

1. What is time to acceleration?

Time to acceleration is the amount of time it takes for an object to increase its velocity from rest to a given speed.

2. How is time to acceleration calculated?

Time to acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the acceleration rate. The resulting value will be in seconds.

3. What is the unit of measurement for time to acceleration?

The unit of measurement for time to acceleration is usually seconds (s).

4. How do I convert milliseconds to time to acceleration?

To convert milliseconds to time to acceleration, you can use the formula t = ms/1000, where t is the time in seconds and ms is the time in milliseconds.

5. Why is time to acceleration important?

Time to acceleration is important in understanding the motion of objects and predicting their behavior. It can also be used to calculate the amount of force or energy needed to accelerate an object to a certain speed.