1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time in acceleration

1. Aug 18, 2009 #1
    hello just a quick question, in the experiemental formula for acceleration (2xr/t^2) if the time was in milli seconds e.g 0.00.67 seconds, before u substitute the value in the formula would u need to convert that time to 1 second, by timing everything by 1000 then diving the values by 6.7 to find the acceleration for that 1 second? (m/s ^ -2)

thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2009 #2
    and another question in a distance vs tme graph would i need to use a line of best fit or can i use a parabola, because the speed is obviously accelerating

4. Aug 18, 2009 #3

diazona

Homework Helper

Where did you get that formula from? Because it doesn't seem to be correct.

But anyway, if you had a correct formula for acceleration, and you had time in milliseconds, and you had acceleration in meters per second squared, then yes you would have to use a conversion factor from milliseconds to seconds. But if you had time in milliseconds and acceleration in meters per millisecond squared, you would not have to use a conversion factor.

In a distance-time graph, accelerated motion looks like a parabola, not a line. So you could not use a best-fit line.

5. Aug 18, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand what you mean by line of best fit. You can use a parabola only if the acceleration is constant. Otherwise, you will need to find a mathematical expression for x(t) using the known form of the acceleration and integrating twice. Here it seems that the acceleration is not constant so ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook